City of Bettendorf
Develops, administers, manages and evaluates the maintenance and construction programs and activities for the City’s stormwater and sanitary sewer collection systems; performs related work as required.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
1. Plans, develops, implements and administers an operation and maintenance program for sanitary sewer and storm sewer collection systems. The program consists of inspection, maintenance and repair of the system through a combined effort of capital improvement funded contracts and the City’s Sewer Sections work force.
2. Responsible for the concept development, scope of work, budget estimation and prioritization of sewer maintenance and repair projects; acts as Project Manager for sewers maintenance contracts in the Community Improvement Program (CIP).
3. Reports on the adherence to project schedules from conception to completion including all related and required coordination with other agencies, real property acquisition, design, contracting, construction, and fiscal close-out.
4. With support of GIS staff, develop, manage and monitor a database of the Sewers infrastructure.
5. Incorporate and administer a Work Order Management System for sanitary sewer and storm sewer collection systems.
6. Organizes, trains, motivates, directs and supervises the work of a team of equipment operators in the maintenance and repair of the City’s stormwater and sanitary sewer collection systems; performs employee evaluations; work with employees to correct deficiencies; provide disciplinary actions as necessary; participate in the hiring of new employees.
7. Continuously monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of operational methods and procedures for the Sewer Sections, assess and monitor work load, identify opportunities for improvement and review with management staff; implement improvements as necessary.
8. Develop short and long term capital budgets supporting sewers maintenance programs that meet the City’s goals and objectives; forecast and recommend funding needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies.
9. Develops annual, monthly and weekly work schedules for the Operations Division Sewers Sections. Establishes job priorities and time frames for equipment operators and monitors completion of job assignments to ensure compliance with standards and instructions.
10. Monitors the distribution of materials, sets up pumps and supervises the placement of flood protection material.
11. Inspects work in progress to assure conformance with instructions, City policies, procedures and safety practices; ensure the adherence to safe work practices by all assigned personnel.
12. Provide responsible assistance to other management staff which may include design; prepare and present staff reports and other necessary correspondence.
13. Assists with obtaining compliance with the City’s National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Permit administered by the Iowa Department of Natural Resources (IDNR).
14. Maintains accurate and complete daily reports.
15. Investigates problems in the field and determines corrective actions to be taken. Schedules dye tests and supervise clean-up of chemical spills or other illicit discharges in sewer lines.
16. Monitor the maintenance and operation of all equipment and vehicles assigned to the Sewer Section; work with Garage Manager to coordinate maintenance and repair of vehicles; ensure all assigned staff follows preventative maintenance guidelines; make recommendations for new equipment and vehicles.
17. Performs other directly related duties consistent with the role and function of the classification.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Requires a level of knowledge normally acquired through the successful completion of a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or a closely related field from an accredited college. Preference given to Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering.
Requires three (3) to five (5) years of progressively more responsible work experience in sanitary or storm sewer systems, pumping operation and maintenance and general knowledge of sewer maintenance practices. Must possess License in Iowa as a Professional Engineer or have the ability to acquire one within one (1) year of hiring. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Has the ability to operate a personal computer using program applications, such as Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook), and other sewer software appropriate to assigned duties and responsibilities.
Requires a level of interpersonal skills necessary to effectively communicate with co-workers, other City employees, local residents, contractors, Corp of Engineer representatives and Iowa DNR representatives. Requires the ability to be a strong team leader who coordinates and directs the work group, and provides direction and guidance to the team.
Requires the analytical ability to compile a wide range of project information and translate these data into engineering drawings and specifications.
Requires work to be performed within a normal office environment and will work outdoors when gathering project planning information, performing supervisory duties and inspections as necessary. May be exposed to a wide range of weather conditions and occasionally required to exert heavy effort in lifting and removing manhole covers. Exposure to some caustic materials and chemicals. Sufficient vision or other powers of observation, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to produce clear and concise products with detailed accuracy and assure quality control of engineering designs and other work products. Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to communicate effectively. Sufficient manual dexterity with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to operate computerized equipment; Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to visit proposed and on-site projects throughout the City.
This position is a full time management position in the Public Works Department. If interested in this position, please submit the following:
Salary History and Requirements
Please submit documentation to:
Human Resources Department
1609 State Street
Bettendorf, IA 52722
Applications/Resumes will be accepted until Friday, August 23rd, 2013 at 5:00 p.m.
The City of Bettendorf is an equal opportunity employer.
Back to Job List
Apply to this Job