This is on-the-job training work in the operation and inspection of the City's wastewater treatment plant on a permanent and rotating shift. Trainee works under the supervision and direction of the Superintendent / Wastewater and/or Chief Operator / Wastewater.
$16.29 - $24.43 Hourly
Essential Job Functions
(These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other related duties as assigned, including City-directed work assignments in the event of a declared emergency.)
- Participates in an on-the-job training program involving practical, "hands- on" experience with plant operations under the supervision of the superintendent and/or chief operator.
- Performs a variety of duties and monitors the treatment process by chemical, physical and visual analysis and adjusting operating parameters accordingly under the supervision of the superintendent and/or chief operator.
- Participates in the performance of periodic plant operation integrity and safety tests to verify proper operation of plant process.
- Obtains requisite samples to evaluate treatment processes and records data from gauges and SCADA system.
- Briefs the operators, chief operator and superintendent of activities performed, treatment adjustments or situations encountered during shift operation.
- Keeps inventory of chemical usages and dosages.
- Assists in establishing and maintaining Standard Operating Procedures.
- Prepares operational and other written and verbal reports.
- Performs various grounds maintenance and housekeeping duties as directed.
- Performs minor preventative maintenance, as directed.
- Knowledge of basic mathematical principles.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions required of the work.
- Skilled in the use of small office equipment, including copy machines or multi-line telephone systems.
- Skilled in using computers for data entry, word processing and accounting purposes.
- Ability to learn the principles, practices, materials, and procedures pertaining to wastewater treatment plant operation.
- Ability to absorb, analyze and apply new technical information.
- Ability to develop sound record keeping procedures and to prepare accurate records.
- Ability to perform a variety of plant maintenance and housekeeping work.
- Ability to accurately follow routine operating and recording procedures and to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to read and understand technical manuals.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to use mature judgment in evaluating situations and making decisions in accordance with established policy.
- Ability to work in a team environment and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City officials, other employees and the public.
Education, Experience, Licenses and Certifications
Education and Experience:
High School Diploma from an accredited high school or possession of an acceptable equivalency diploma is required.
(A comparable amount of relevant training, education and/or experience may be substituted for the above qualifications.)
Licenses and Certifications:
Must possess a valid Florida Driver's License.
Must complete Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP) required training course within nine months of appointment to position.
Must obtain a Wastewater Treatment Plan Operator "C" certification issued by the FDEP within eighteen months (18) months of employment.