Padre Dam MWD is looking to add a SCADA Technician to our Operations Team. We offer a collaborative work environment and the opportunity to work with some of the most skilled employees in the County. The successful applicant will be responsible for performing skilled installations, maintenance, repairs and troubleshooting on Padre Dam's Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems; field security systems, field wireless network systems, and all related control, communications, and security sub systems and equipment. Duties include but are not limited to: Install, maintain, and service Padre Dam's Human Machine Interface (HMI) software and hardware, including software upgrades; design and development of new HMI screens; development and servicing of interfacing software and program historical software; design and develop complex Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) software programs; configure, diagnose, install, maintain, troubleshoot and repair PLC hardware and software programs, network equipment, radio hardware and software, cellular and other related operational control, networking and security hardware as necessary. Document and organize software and hardware procedures and programs in accordance with industry best practices; respond to emergencies as needed; and other duties as may be assigned.
Knowledge (position requirements at entry unless specified with (A) which would be required after 5 years.)
Skills (position requirements at entry unless specified with (A) which would be required after 5 years.)
- Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems;
- Electrical principles and practices; AC & DC power;
- Electronic equipment including PLCs, radios, routers, switches, modems, cellular, security cameras, HMI displays, and associated I/O devices;
- Advanced knowledge of computer operating systems
- Complex Ladder logic and PLC programming; (A)
- Instrumentation & Process Control standards and practices; (A)
- Radio and Communication systems and related equipment (A)
- Process control systems and related equipment
- Electronic measuring equipment used in wastewater treatment plants and water distribution systems
- Wireless Network Security
- Network communication (HTTP, TCP/IP), network security (HTTPS, SSL, SFTP) and network management protocols (SNMP and ICMP).
- Installing, troubleshooting, and repairing problems with electronic equipment;
- PLC's and writing control logic;
- Calibrating and servicing of electronic equipment;
- Reading maps, blueprints, ladder, and wiring diagrams;
- Using electrical and electronic equipment such as Digital Volt Meters, analog simulators, and hand and power tools;
- Understanding of water and wastewater control and process systems (A)
- Network Security (A)
- Using computers and related software applications;
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
Training and Experience (position requirements at entry):
- Minimum of an Associate's degree from an accredited college in water technology, electronics technology, computer sciences, information technology or related field, and three years journey level experience in the above duties OR;
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D.) and five years of journey-level experience in the above duties OR;
- An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above
To advance through the SCADA position and move from Technician to Administrator, a person needs a minimum of 5 years of on the job experience at Padre Dam as well as advanced knowledge of wireless networks, security systems and related technologies.
Licensing Requirements (position requirements at entry):
- Valid California Driver's License;
- California Department of Public Health, Water Distribution Certification Grade I, (within two test cycles from date of hire);
- Certified Control Systems Technician from ISA highly desired.
This position is specifically for a SCADA Technician to work with our current SCADA Administrator.