City of Scottsdale
Water/Wastewater Utility Electrician II
SALARY: $28.10 - $40.87 Hourly
LOCATION: Scottsdale, AZ
JOB TYPE: Full-Time Regular
DEPARTMENT: UTILITIES MAINT-ELECTRICAL
CLOSING DATE: Continuous
At Scottsdale Water, we pride ourselves on delivering superior quality water and service to the Scottsdale community. Our employees ensure a safe, sustainable drinking water system, operate an innovative water reclamation system and help Scottsdale Water consistently maintain its position as one of the nation’s most advanced and efficient water utilities.
We value our employees and challenge them to constantly improve how we do business. Our team is made up of professionals from all disciplines – engineering, finance, operations, laboratory science, chemistry, public relations, hydrology, customer service, electrical, maintenance and so much more.
About The Position
This position performs industrial journey-level electrical, electronic and computer work in the installation, maintenance and repair of the City's water and wastewater systems and equipment.
The application and supplemental questions are an integral part of the selection process, and must be completed in full in order for you to be considered as a candidate. Please complete each section and answer all questions as thoroughly as possible.
DO NOT state “See resume” in lieu of answering. Unanswered questions, incomplete responses, omissions, or partial information may result in disqualification from the selection process.
There are multiple positions. Based on the needs of the city, this position has been reposted Open Continuous; the city reserves the right to close the posting when a sufficient number of applications have been received.
The City of Scottsdale offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- 12 Paid Holidays, which includes 1 Floating Holiday
- Vacation Accrual; starts at 10.3 hours/month
- Sick Leave Accrual; 8 hours/month
- Medical (which includes behavioral health coverage), Dental and Vision Benefits
- City Paid Basic Life Insurance (equal to one times employee annual salary); option of Supplemental Life Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement; $2,500/year
- Participation in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) Defined benefit plan with mandatory employer and employee contributions currently at 12.17% which includes a Long-Term Disability benefit
- Supplemental 457 Retirement Plans through Nationwide
- Pet Insurance
- Bilingual pay compensation
- For a more detailed overview of the employee benefits, click here.
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of this position may be invited to participate in a selection process to include an interview panel and skills assessment. Final selection is contingent upon a background check which includes:
- Fingerprint Search of the National FBI Database
- Criminal Background screening
- Drug Testing
- Physical Examination to include a Visual Ishihara Color Test
- Motor Vehicle Department Records Check
Click here to be directed to the Scottsdale Water Careers webpage.
Click here to view the entire job description.
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.
Education and Experience:
- A High School diploma or General Educational Development (GED) equivalent.
- Five years of experience as a journeyman-level electrician in an industrial setting, three years of which includes equivalent experience as a utility electrician or instrumentation technician in a municipal Water or Wastewater environment.
- Satisfactory completion of a two-year electrician apprenticeship in an industrial setting will meet the required years of experience for the Water/Wastewater Utility Technician II.
Licensing, Certifications and Other Requirements:
The Scottsdale Water Resources Division offers an Operator Certification Incentive Program for those employees who obtain certifications above what is required of their positions. The department recognizes the intrinsic value of operator certifications and the added value to the city of having a workforce that possess them.
- Must possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted driver's license with no major citations within the past 39 months prior to the start date. The Arizona Department of Motor Vehicles requires that out-of-state driver's licenses must be surrendered within 10 days of relocating to the State of Arizona.
- Must possess or obtain and maintain within six months of hire or promotion a Grade 1 operator certification from the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality ( ADEQ) within one of the following disciplines - Water Treatment, Water Distribution, Wastewater Treatment, or Wastewater Collection.
- Every person employed by the City of Scottsdale shall reside in the State of Arizona during his or her active employment by the City, regardless of whether the employee is approved to remote work.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on department/section assignment.
- Installs, maintains and repairs high-voltage electrical systems, well pump equipment, booster stations, sewer lift stations, motors, switch gear and control equipment, and calibrates electrical, solid state electronic and process control equipment using instruments such as voltmeters, ammeters, ohmmeters, oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, signal generators, frequency counters, and data-line analyzers.
- Repairs Water and Wastewater systems with motors up to 800 horse power with voltages from 24 volts control systems to up to 4160 volts.
- Works with voltages from 24 volts control systems to 12,500 medium voltage distribution systems.
Installs and maintains transformers, substations, and related control equipment (motors, generators, pumps).
- Installs, maintains, troubleshoots, repairs video and access control security systems throughout our infrastructure.
- Troubleshoots and repairs process control equipment located at the City's water and wastewater treatment facilities; uses the data collected from the telemetry system to troubleshoot system deficiencies or problems and assist other personnel to use the available data as required.
- Reads and updates electrical schematics and control drawings.
- Provides technical help and safety guidance to Water/Wastewater Utility Electrician I.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Bend and stoop repeatedly; good hand/eye coordination.
- Climb ladders or steps to reach work areas.
- Work at heights greater than ten feet.
- Remain in a standing position for extended periods of time.
- Make precise arm-hand positioning movements (i.e., operates an electric hand drill).
Moderate exposure to dust, grease, noise, inclement weather, temperature extremes and unpleasant but not hazardous odors.
- Lift arms above shoulder level to work in various areas.
- Work in small, cramped areas such as ceiling crawl spaces, equipment enclosures, closets, etc.
- Travel across rough, uneven, or rocky surfaces; climbing elevations.
- Lift and move heavy objects up to 50 pounds long distances (20 feet).
- Distinguish between the full range of colors in the color spectrum to work with electrical wires in confined spaces and tight spaces.
- Operate a motor vehicle to travel to/from various locations.
- Work overtime, rotating weekend shifts, holidays and a call-out schedule.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or marital status.
When advised reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation.
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
W/WW Utility Electrician II Supplemental Questionnaire
Can you, after employment, submit proof of your legal right to work in the United States without sponsorship from the City of Scottsdale or any other employment requirement/restriction that would impact your potential employment with the City of Scottsdale?
Do you have a valid, unrestricted driver's license with no major citations within the last 39 months of hire?
NOTE: "Unrestricted" means you are not limited on where and when you can drive and/or you are not required to have a car breathalyzer installed to operate your vehicle.
Do you have at least 5 years of experience as a journeyman-level electrician in an industrial setting, 3 years of which includes equivalent experience as a utilities electrician or instrumentation technician in a municipal Water or Wastewater environment? NOTE: If you answered yes to this question, you must include this experience in the "Work Experience" section of the application.
Have you satisfactorily completed a two-year electrician apprenticeship in an industrial setting? NOTE:
If you answered yes to this question, you must include this experience in the "Work Experience" section of the application.
Do you have or can you obtain and maintain within six months of hire or promotion a Grade I Operator certification from the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ) within one of the following disciplines - Water Treatment, Water Distribution, Wastewater Treatment or Wastewater Collection? NOTE: If you currently have Operator certification, you must include this information in the "Certifications and Licenses" section of your application, including the issuing authority, discipline, grade and expiration date.
This position requires working overtime, rotating weekend shifts, holidays and a call-out schedule. Are you able to work these schedules as needed?