HVAC Technician -Water/Reclamation
SALARY: $25.00 - $36.34 Hourly
STATUS: Full-Time Regular
FLSA: Non-exempt position, eligible for overtime compensation.
OPENING DATE: 05/31/22
CLOSING DATE: 07/04/22 11:59 PM
Located in the beautiful Sonoran Desert, Scottsdale, Arizona is bordered by Phoenix to the westand the McDowell Mountains on the east. Scottsdale is annually rated among the nation's mostdesirable communities to live in, visit and do business in. Check out more about Scottsdale.
The application and supplemental questions are an integral part of the selection process, and mustbe completed in full in order for you to be considered as a candidate. Please complete eachsection and answer all questions as thoroughly as possible. DO NOT state “See resume” in lieuof answering. Unanswered questions, incomplete responses, omissions, or partial informationmay result in disqualification from the selection process.
Please Note: The salary range as of June 19, 2022 will be $26.25 - $38.16.
About The Position
Performs skilled heating, ventilation, and air conditioning: maintenance, repair, and installationfunctions.
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of this positionmay be invited to participate in a selection process to include an interview panel and skillsassessment. Final selection is contingent upon a background check which includes:
- Fingerprint Search of the National FBI Database
- Criminal Background screening
- Drug Testing
- Medical Exam, to include an Audiogram
- Motor Vehicle Department Records Check
Click here to view the entire job description.
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.
Education and Experience
- A High School diploma or General Educational Development (GED) equivalent.
- Must possess a technician's certificate in a heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC)specialized field;
- Successful completion of a four-year apprenticeship program in an approved HVACprogram;
- Four years of experience in HVAC maintenance, installation and repair.
- Three years at a skilled level working on commercial large tonnage chilled watersystems.
- Five years of experience in HVAC maintenance, installation and repair along witheither a technician's certificate or one year of experience with the completion of a four-year apprenticeship program in an approved HVAC program.
Licensing, Certifications, and Other Requirements
- Must possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted driver's license with no major citations withinthe past 39 months prior to the start date. The Arizona Department of Motor Vehiclesrequires that out-of-state driver's licenses must be surrendered within 10 days of relocatingto the State of Arizona.
- Universal Refrigerant Recovery certification required upon hire or promotion.
- Every person employed by the City of Scottsdale shall reside in the State of Arizona during his or her active employment by the City, regardless of whether the employee is approved toremote work.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on department/section assignment.
- Performs installation, preventive maintenance, and repairs on all refrigeration, heating andventilating equipment, control systems, and associated computer control systems. This willinclude: cooling towers, chillers, and chemical feed systems for scale and corrosion control.
- Repairs or replaces electrical components such as: wire, contactors, starters, relays,overload heaters, motors, compressors, ignition controls and related fail-safe controls onlarge and small air conditioning and heating equipment.
- Lays out and installs: metal, fiberglass, flexible ductwork, diffusers, grills, and turning veins.
- Installs piping and pumps related to the HVAC trade that transfer: water, oil, refrigerant, andchemicals for system water treatment.
- Analyzes gauge and meter readings relating to: pneumatic air, water pressure, waterchemical and solids content, refrigerant pressures, oil pressure, and contaminant content.
- Maintains written or computer based logs on: preventive maintenance, cooling tower wateruse, filter changing, belt life cycle, bearing life cycle, and cooler pump life cycle.
- Enters new data into computer base on Energy Management Control System to allowschedule and use changes in City facilities.
- Maintains and repairs all types of large HVAC systems including: chilled water, water cooled,reciprocating, and centrifugal systems including pumps, cooling towers, both pneumatic anddigitally controlled.
- Evaluates and recommends new products that may be beneficial to lower maintenance andoperating costs of City HVAC equipment.
- Operate a motor vehicle to perform installation, preventive maintenance and repairs onHVAC equipment and associated systems at various locations.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Seldom sedentary and includes: walking or moving, climbing ladders and working at heights,lifting, bending, and stooping repeatedly; lift arms above head on continual basis; work insmall, cramped, and confined areas.
- Move objects weighing up to 100 pounds.
- Exposure to dust, grease, noise, inclement weather, temperature extremes, and unpleasantodors.
- Operate a motor vehicle and travel to/from various locations.
- Work rotating weekend coverage and after hours call-out.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
It is the policy of the city to provide employmentopportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, nationalorigin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualifiedapplicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contactHuman Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request areasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should bemade 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. ForTTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480)312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer andemployee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer andrequirements of the position change.
FILE APPLICATIONS ONLINE AT:
OUR OFFICE IS LOCATED AT:
9191 E. San Salvador Dr.
Scottsdale, AZ 85258
HVAC TECHNICIAN - WATER/RECLAMATION
HVAC Technician - Water/Reclamation Supplemental Questionnaire
*1. Do you have a valid, unrestricted driver's license with no major citations within the last 39months of hire? NOTE: "Unrestricted" means you are not limited on where and when youcan drive and/or you are not required to have a car breathalyzer installed to operate yourvehicle.
*2. Do you have a High School diploma or General Educational Development (GED) equivalent?NOTE: If you answer yes to this question, you must include this information in the"Education" section of your application.
*3. Do you have a technician's certificate in heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC)specialized field? NOTE: If you answer yes to this question, you must include thiscertification in the "Certifications and Licenses" section of your application.
*4. If you answered yes to question 4 above, list the class of the certificate and the date inwhich it was received. If you don't have this certification, write "None."
*5. Have you completed a four year apprenticeship program in an approved HVAC program?
*6. If you answered yes to question 5 above, describe this experience in detail, to include theemployer(s) and the date(s) completed. If you don't have this experience, write "None." Donot state, "See Resume" in lieu of answering this question. Experience listed here must beincluded in the "Work Experience" section of your application.
*7. Do you possess four years of experience in HVAC maintenance, installation and repair?
*8. If you answered yes to question 7 above, describe this experience in detail and provide thename of the employer(s). NOTE: Employers mentioned here must be shown in the WorkExperience section of the application. Do not state "See resume" in lieu of responding tothis question. If you don't have this experience, write "None."
*9. Do you possess a Universal Refrigerant Recovery certificate? NOTE: If you answered yes tothis question, you must include this certification in the "Certifications and Licenses" sectionof your application.
* Required Question