The Sewerage Agency of Southern Marin (SASM) is a joint powers authority (JPA) that provides wastewater collection, treatment, water reclamation, and disposal for 30,000 Southern Marin residents. The City of Mill Valley, a member of the JPA, provides staff for SASM. Staff are hired by the City and operate under the Department of Public Works.
SASM is located along the waterfront in Mill Valley in close proximity to Highway 101, San Francisco, nature preserves, and iconic recreational areas.
Mill Valley has grown from a small mill town to the modern full-service city it is today. With a staff of almost 150 full-time employees and an annual operating budget of $41 million, the City of Mill Valley prides itself on efficient, effective and courteous service delivery with a commitment to operational excellence.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Under the general direction of the Chief Treatment Plant Operator, the Treatment Plant Operator conducts work performed in the Wastewater Treatment Plant, including maintenance of the plant, sewage lift stations, trunk sewers, and out fall.
Examples of Essential Duties (include but are not limited to):
- Operate and adjust all unit operations in the treatment plant to ensure smooth and efficient operation.
- Record/collect, calculate, interpret, and report data.
- Collect samples, troubleshoot and address operational and mechanical issues.
- Conduct minor preventative maintenance including equipment inspection, internal and external cleaning, oil and grease changes or replenishment, adjustments, etc.
- Identify and request repairs or improvements as needed.
- Read, understand, and implement Operation and Maintenance Manual procedures; update or modify procedures when necessary.