Under the direction of the Asst. General Manager/ORC and in compliance with all state and federal regulations, operates the drinking water plant. This position is a supervisory position and requires appropriate technical training to perform.
Hours: Full Time, 40 hours per week with on-call and overtime as needed.
Benefits: Vacation and sick leave as well as health, life, employee funded dental/vision/401k.
D Level – $24/hr to $28/hr
C Level – $26/hr to $30/hr
B Level – $28/hr to $32/hr
A Level – $30/hr to $34/hr
(Pay rates are based off experience and knowledge and are negotiated based on these suggested ranges. Increased related experience will earn you the right to test for a pay class increase. If you pass the test, you will be advanced to the lower level of the next pay scale. Annual pay raises are given at the discretion of upper management and are not guaranteed.)
Duties include but are not limited to,
- Completing daily rounds and labs as outlined by the Plant Manager and ORC.
- Monitoring SCADA and making adjustments within the operating limits outlined by the SOPs and ORC.
- Troubleshooting and repairing issues in the treatment process.
- Logging operational activities and maintaining plant records.
- Reviewing and interpreting data gathered in rounds, labs, and compliance samples.
- Collecting and checking compliance samples and ensuring delivery to Colorado Analytical Laboratory.
- Maintaining and operating plant equipment.
- Maintaining plant infrastructure.
- Verifying proper operation and maintenance of water treatment equipment.
- Responding to emergency callouts and assisting on-call personnel as needed.
- Handling hazardous chemicals in a safe and efficient manner.
- Updating and maintaining the plant inventory and MSDS binder.
- Placing approved orders for plant supplies and equipment and signing invoices.
- Understanding requirements of plant compliance and relaying any issues to the Water Treatment Plant Manager and ORC.
- Preparing daily reports on plant operations.
- Assisting staff members of other departments as needed.
- Completing all tasks in accordance standard operating procedures or at the direction of the Plant Manager and ORC.
- Performing On-call duties related to the drinking water plant, distribution system, and raw water systems during assigned 1 week on-call periods.
- Responding to emergency issues communicated by on-all employees.
- Overseeing the training of new employees for plant related duties.
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Competencies
- Maintain the minimum level certifications for the Water Treatment Plant.
- Capable of moving 40-pound bags and 55-gallon barrels of chemical.
- Basic knowledge of hand tools, power tools, mathematics, plumbing, pumps, valves, motors, filters, and equipment maintenance.
- Ability to train, educate, and supervise new operators.
- Demonstrate competency in water quality testing and sample collection.
- Demonstrate an understanding of both state and federal regulations.
- Ability to follow and understand safety procedures.
- Ability to follow and understand Standard Operating Procedures.
- Ability to detect problems in equipment and operations and make repairs with a high degree of competency.
- Knowledge of computer software including Microsoft Office and SCADA systems.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Flexibility to work with different personalities and learn new fields of water.
- Ability to effectively communicate expectations and maintain a high level of accountability.
- Must maintain an acceptable level of attendance and notify supervisors of any extended periods of unavailability.
- Must be able to respond to emergency situations within 30 minutes of an event.
Time spend in each category is approximate
Operations and Maintenance – 50%
Training – 15%
Plant compliance – 5%
Administrative – 20%
System monitoring -10%
Education and certifications requirements
- A current class B or higher Certified Drinking Water Operators License through the State of Colorado is preferred.
- A current class C or higher Certified Industrial Wastewater Operators License through the State of Colorado is preferred.
- Minimum High School or equivalent education
- A class R driver’s license and clean driving record.
- This position is required to oversee the day-to-day operation of the Water Treatment Plant. It is the responsibility of the Treatment Lead to make minor changes to the plant at the direction of the ORC. All changes must be preapproved by the ORC and recorded in the daily logbook and App Sheets.
- The Treatment Lead is responsible for the education and progress of the Water Treatment Operators.
- The Lead Operator must form effective, respectful, and courteous working relationship with other operators, customers, and third-party contractors.
- All district operators are required to direct any questions and/or inquiries regarding the operations of the district by outside parties to management.