Posting Title: Geospatial Analyst (Wild Land Conservation)
Job Requisition Number: COA089888
Position Number: 118376
Job Type: Full-Time
Division Name: Wild Land Conservation
- Two (2) years of education from an accredited college or university in a field related to the job.
- Experience may substitute for education up to two (2) years.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
Notes to Applicants
This position will be responsible for collecting, maintaining, and analyzing the geospatial data of the Wildland Conservation Division. This entails collecting geospatial data in the field using a GPS or smart device connecting to ArcGIS Online, responding to and fulfilling GIS and map requests from coworkers, and conducting spatial analysis on internal and external stakeholder data to help promote and further the missions of the Balcones Canyonlands Preserve and the Water Quality Protection Lands.
Working with Austin Water provides a number of benefits including medical, paid leave time, a great retirement plan, training opportunities and more! Click HERE for more information.
Applicants Please Read:
This position will be located at Reicher Ranch, 3621 South FM 620, Austin, TX 78738.
This is a remote facility with no access to rideshare options for travel. Once at the site, the candidate may travel on City business regularly throughout the workday. This position may operate a variety of vehicles including but not limited to car, truck, tractor or other types of motorized vehicles. Successful candidates may be asked to show valid insurance for the operation of these vehicles. If unable to travel on City business, successful candidate may be required to walk long distances to complete tasks or job functions.
When completing the City of Austin employment application:
- Please be sure to detail on the application all previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- A detailed, complete employment application is required. It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Be sure to provide job title and employment dates for all jobs you wish to be considered. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- A cover letter is required. In the cover letter, candidates should describe in concise detail their interest in this position and highlight any prior experience that is relevant to this position.
If you are selected to interview:
Your skills and competencies for this job will be assessed prior to being invited to an in-person interview. A 70% or above on all the assessments is required to be considered for the next step.
This position will require you to collect data in the field and may include the following conditions:
- Walk long distances on uneven terrain
- Work in environments that may include hazardous conditions, walking in dense vegetation and exposure to extreme weather conditions
- Wear required PPE to include safety eyewear, footwear, head protection or hearing protection
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED, undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution and proof of your professional licenses or certifications.
- If you are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
Travel: If you are selected for this position and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
- All Austin Water employees are prohibited from accepting or engaging in any secondary employment that might conflict or interfere with an employee’s duty and responsibility to the Department.
- Austin Water must review all secondary employment.
- Employees are required to submit a Secondary Employment Application for review and approval upon being hired with Austin Water, as well as current Austin Water employees considering secondary employment.
Effective October 1, 2014, all Austin Water worksite locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any AW worksite – including construction sites, parking lot, garage or in any personal vehicle located on the premises.
Pay Range: $26.99 – $32.70
Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., with some flexibility. May be required to work nights or weekends based on business need.
Job Close Date: 09/27/2023
Type of Posting: External
Department: Austin Water Utility
Grant Funded or Pooled Position: Not Applicable
Location: Reicher Ranch, 3621 South FM 620, Austin, TX 78738
- Experience managing geospatial data, automating processes, and documenting workflows using GIS programs such as the ESRI Suite, including ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, and Field Maps.
- Experience collecting GIS field data using standard GPS equipment and/or mobile smart devices.
- Experience in establishing data standards, organizing and improving existing datasets, and archiving or depreciating outdated data.
- Skill in collecting and analyzing publicly available data in geospatial projects such as iNaturalist observations, LIDAR, etc.
- Experience working in remote locations and wildland settings.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate technical issues to non-technical users through presentations, reports, maps, web-maps and map applications.
- Ability to travel to more than one work location.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities: Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Produces and/or analyzes data from various sources to produce data sets, cartographic layouts, and reports in accordance with specifications and standards.
- Assists in the design and implementation of and/or performs data management activities such as modifying elements and assigning privileges.
- Assists with programming activities such as design, development, testing, debugging, documentation, and modification of geospatial applications.
- Researches and interprets source records and documents.
- Performs business process analysis and develops alternatives, making recommendations.
- Responds to requests for information from internal and external customers.
- Assists with the creation, publication, implementation, and improvement of IT policies, governance, standards, and security.
- Installs new software releases and/or upgrades including researching, testing, and implementing new geospatial technology.
- Communicates and interfaces with members of the IT, vendor, and user communities.
Responsibilities – Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of basic programming/scripting principles, techniques, and documentation practices.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of mapping, coordinate systems, projections, and scale.
- Knowledge of basic database design principles.
- Skill in selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new concepts.
- Ability to implement geospatial technology projects.
- Ability to modify geospatial applications and databases using scripting languages and automation tools.
- Ability to analyze automation needs and makes recommendations for data, geospatial software, and/or hardware solutions.
- Ability to read and interpret surveys, legal descriptions, cartography, engineering documents, construction plans, and aerial and orthophotography.
- Ability to read and interpret applicable laws and regulations.
- Ability to produce maps and other representations of geospatial data using geospatial software.
- Ability to accurately identify/determine customer needs and take appropriate actions and/or steps to address identified needs.
- Ability to recognize, value, and include different perspectives, experiences, approaches, and cultures in achieving organizational goals.
- Ability to gain and maintain the trust and confidence of others and the organization through consistency and reliability.
- Ability to give, receive, or share thoughts, ideas, perspective, and data to create shared understanding.
- Ability to define, analyze, and find solutions for difficult or complex problems.
- Ability to view the big picture.
- Ability to quickly become familiar with emerging technologies.
- Ability to identify trends as well as isolated events.
Criminal Background Investigation: This position does not require a Criminal Background Investigation
The City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or Texas Relay by dialing 7-1-1.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual’s AIDS, AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * This position requires two (2) years of education from an accredited college or university in a field related to the job. Experience may substitute for education up to two (2) years. Do you meet the minimum qualifications?
- * How many years of experience do you have managing geospatial data, automating processes, and documenting workflows using ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, Field Maps, or similar GIS tools?
- Less than one (1) year
- One (1) to three (3) years
- Three (3) to five (5) years
- More than five (5) years
- * Please rate your level of experience with GIS data collection including working with stakeholders to identify necessary data, setting up data layers, and collecting data in the field.
- Basic - I'm familiar with how to collect GIS data, but I have less than 6 months of experience working with stakeholders, setting up data layers and collecting data in the field
- Intermediate - I have more than 6 months of experience working with stakeholders, setting up data layers and collecting data in the field
- Expert - I do this regularly for work and have more than one year of experience working with stakeholders, setting up data layers and collecting data in the field
- * Rate your level of experience establishing and implementing standards for large datasets. This might include existing datasets generated by a workgroup or public datasets such as LIDAR, iNaturalist observations, etc.
- Basic - I'm familiar with how to manage large datasets, I have less than 6 months of experience working to establish and implement data management standards
- Intermediate - I have more than 6 months of experience working to establish and implement data management standards
- Expert - I do this regularly for work and have more than one year of experience working to establish and implement data management standards
- * Do you have the ability to travel to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties?
- * Do you have the ability to work in various weather conditions and terrain (e.g. field work)?
- * Were you referred to this opportunity by an Austin Water employee? If yes, please provide the employee’s full name.
(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter