Hourly Rate: $14.00 – $22.00 DOE
E-mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Description: Under the supervision of the foreman/designee, performs installation and maintenance of the Redway Community Services District’s (RCSD) water distribution and wastewater collection systems. Assist in the installation, repair and maintenance of water and wastewater mains, valves and other appurtenances, but is not limited to such. Position supplies construction support to all RCSD departments. Work includes the connection of fittings, installation of new mains, service lines, valves, and hydrants; repair of sanitary mains and lift stations; placement, removal and minor repair to water meters and the pressure testing and chlorination of new mains. Work is reviewed through observation of efficiency, safety, production, adherence to established policies and procedures, and results achieved.
• Assist in the installation, maintenance and repair of water and wastewater mains; proper placement of barricades and traffic cones for maintenance of traffic requirements; excavate trenches for main placement; apply temporary patches to street surfaces following repair.
• Install, repair and adjust valve boxes and meter boxes; install water meters; install, repair and maintain valves; install and maintain new fire hydrants; install underground conduits for electric power and communications.
• Assist in the installation of all underground utilities and the installation and maintenance of sanitary lift stations; install underground conduits for electric power and communications.
• Operate motor vehicles to transport personnel and supplies to work site; operate various hand and power tools; operate heavy equipment and electronic locating equipment.
• Operate minor equipment, hand tools and construction equipment.
• Assist in construction support for other departments as needed.
• Perform semi-skilled level facilities maintenance and cleaning.
• Communicate effectively with all staff, vendors and the public.
• Demonstrate proficiency in the RCSD Core Competencies.
• Perform other work as assigned.
Note: The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning specific duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
Knowledge, skills & abilities:
• Knowledge of methods and materials utilized in the installation and maintenance of a water distribution and wastewater utility system.
• Ability to locate leaks, stoppages and malfunctions in water and wastewater lines and related equipment; ability to operate hand machinery used in the installation of water/wastewater lines.
• Basic computer skills including proficiency with Word and Excel as well as the ability to learn other software as the work requires.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with fellow employees; ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to learn to operate hand tools used in installation and maintenance of underground utilities during standard construction practices.
• Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the work.
• Knowledge of specific equipment and specialized tools for the installation of new water and wastewater mains and related appurtenances and be skilled in the use of light equipment and hand and power tools.
• Required to take on-call duty on rotating basis for after-hours emergencies and services after probation period.
• High school Diploma/GED or equivalent.
• Possess and maintain a valid California Driver License.
• Possess and maintain California State Water Distribution Grade D2 Certification.
• Obtain California State Wastewater Operator in Training Certification within three months of hire.
• Obtain California State Water Treatment Grade T2 Certification within six months of hire.
Tasks require work be performed in adverse and hazardous environmental conditions including exposure to wastewater effluent and chemicals related to the treatment of water and wastewater. Involves working with unmarked underground utilities; i.e. high voltage power, fiber optic cables, low and high pressure gas transmission lines, working in congested residential areas, busy streets and in trenches and/or deep excavations. Tasks will involve working with asbestos cement pipe, its proper abatement and transportation.
This is heavy work requiring the exertion of 100 pounds of force occasionally, up to 50 pounds of force frequently and up to 25 pounds of force constantly to move objects; work requires climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, and grasping. Tasks may involve extended working hours during emergency situations that arise.
Tasks require manual dexterity in addition to visual and hearing acuity as well as oral and written communication ability.
Please call 707-923-3101 for more information or visit redwaycsd.org