Salary: $67,311.00 - $111,736.00 (Yearly Salary)
The Rivanna Water & Sewer Authority in Charlottesville, VA, which serves the City of Charlottesville, Albemarle County and the University of Virginia, is hiring a Water Manager. The person performs responsible technical and administrative work in directing and supervising the water department which has various facilities in numerous locations with employees working 24 hour shifts. This position reports directly to the Director of Operations. Job functions include:
- Plans, directs, assigns, supervises and reviews the activities of the Water department.
- Sets departmental goals and leadership in assigning tasks; maintains operational control of department activities and interprets Authority policy.
- Prepares and approves employee time sheets.
- Oversees performance evaluations for all department staff, performs evaluations on employees, and when necessary recommends and carries out disciplinary action.
- Reviews employment applications, interviews applicants, researches references, and makes recommendations for hiring.
- Oversees and evaluates treatment practices and procedures to ensure optimization of operations for 5 surface water treatment plants and 1 groundwater treatment system.
- Serves in a 24 hour on-call basis in case of questions of a technical nature or emergencies.
- Works with finance, engineering, and department staff to develop an operating budget for each fiscal year.
- Works with finance, engineering and department staff in developing, modifying, and implementing a multi-year flexible Capital Improvement Plan.
- Performs research on vendors and purchases and directs staff in maintaining inventory of chemicals, supplies and parts for the department.
- Maintains communication with users of treatment services, city and county water department heads, related public agencies and the public-at-large.
- Handles citizen complaints and inquiries.
- Deals directly with the Department of Environmental Quality and Virginia Department of Health in handling inspections, and other regulatory matters as appropriate, overseeing the preparation of, reviewing and signing monthly operating reports.
- Directs and guides staff in performing duties and tasks while following EMS guidelines.
- Must stay current with new water related developments, regulations, and treatment ideas by regularly attending seminars, conferences, and training sessions.
A B.S. from an accredited four-year college in a science related field, at least 5 years of increasingly responsible experience in directing and operating water treatment facilities, and at least 5 years in increasing supervisory responsibility are required. Comprehensive knowledge of the principles and practices of water treatment plant operation, water engineering and current water treatment standards; ability to organize, and coordinate the work of subordinates in achieving required water treatment objectives and administrative functions; ability to prepare memos and reports; have the knowledge, initiative and resourcefulness to handle problems encountered in the operation of water treatment facilities; ability to direct others in a positive manner and to serve as a part of a management team. Must have a Virginia Class 1 Water Operator's License or ability to obtain licenses within one year and a valid Virginia Driver’s License.