Performs semi-skilled work in maintaining water and sewer lines. The work involves excavating, replacing, and repairing, testing, and charging, and backfilling water and sewer lines. Employees work as members of a line maintenance crew, follow specific instructions and procedures, and refer nonstandard situations or problems to others.
Salary: $36,332.82 Annually
Essential Job Functions
- Uses hand and other tools of the trade to repair water and sewer lines including home service lines, water meters, fire hydrants and valves.
- Repairs sidewalks, fire hydrants, water, and sewer mains.
- Hand digs to locate underground utilities.
- Maintains equipment and tools used in the work.
- Cleans up worksite areas.
- Follows safe work practices in the performance of duties.
- Assists with sewage clean ups.
- Performs other related job duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Education and Experience:
Completion of the tenth grade and two years of general labor experience.
Licenses or Certifications:
Valid (Class C) driver's license.
Subject to work beyond the normal scheduled hours of work.
Subject to call back in emergencies.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A SAFETY SENSITIVE POSITION, AND EMPLOYEES IN THIS POSITION ARE SUBJECT TO RANDOM DRUG AND ALCOHOL SCREENING.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the use and care of hand, power and other tools used in the work.
- Ability to perform physically demanding work.
- Ability to use the tools and equipment of work efficiently.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
The work is regularly active with periods of heavy exertion and is performed in shop or field settings and outside. Typical positions require workers to walk or stand for long periods; lift and carry up to 100 pounds; climb stairs, ladders, and scaffolding; bend, kneel, crouch and crawl; reach, hold, grasp, and turn objects; feel the size, shape, and temperature of items; and use fingers to operate computer or typewriter keyboards. The work requires the ability to speak normally, to use normal or aided vision and hearing, and to detect odors.
Principal duties of this job are performed in shop or field settings and outside environment. Employee is subject to hazards of a wastewater environment; exposed to raw sewage; and exposed to inclement weather.