Salary: $126,692.80 - $154,003.20 Annually
Close: 03/28/23 05:00 PM
At the Orange County Sanitation District our Core Values form the framework of our organization and reinforce our professional work ethic. If the following values ring true with you, we'd love to invite you to explore our career opportunities further.
Integrity, Inclusion, Honesty, and Respect
We aspire to the highest degree of integrity, inclusion, honesty, and respect in our interaction with each other, our suppliers, our customers, and our community. We strive to demonstrate these values in our actions, commitments, and service.
Leadership, Teamwork, and Problem Solving
We lead by example, acknowledging the value of our resources and using them wisely to achieve our mission. We strive to reach OC San goals through cooperative efforts and collaboration with each other and our constituencies. We work to solve problems in a creative, cost-effective, and safe manner, and we acknowledge team and individual efforts.
Customer Service, Transparency, and Accountability
We are committed to acting in a timely, accurate, accessible, and transparent manner through excellent customer service. We are committed to act in the best interest of our internal and external stakeholders.
Resiliency, Innovation, and Learning
We continuously develop ourselves, enhancing our talents, skills, and abilities. We recognize that only through personal growth and development will we progress as an agency and as individuals.
We are committed to providing a safe work environment. We will demonstrate leadership, promote individual accountability, and participate actively in the advancement of our health and safety practices.
OC San is currently looking to fill the role of an Operations Supervisor.
Under general direction, supervises, assigns, reviews, and participates in the work of staff responsible for the operation and control of the wastewater treatment system on assigned shift; ensures work quality and adherence to established policies and procedures; and performs the more technical and complex tasks relative to assigned area of responsibility. Specifically, this person will be responsible for reviewing and evaluating operational data to ensure efficient plant operation and compliance with permit requirements. This individual also will implement plant process control changes, and coordinate activities with other departments and outside agencies to perform routine and emergency repairs as required. Duties also will include the planning, preparation, and administration of division budgets, as well as writing reports and maintaining timely, complete, appropriate and accurate records. The Operations Supervisor will also establish performance criteria and evaluate performance of staff, and provide technical and safety training.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
The successful candidate will possess:
- Associate degree or 60 semester units from a college or university accredited by the U.S. Department of Education, with major coursework in wastewater treatment plant operations, engineering, construction management, or a related field.
- Six (6) years of progressively responsible work experience in wastewater treatment plant operations, which may include two (2) years of lead or supervisory experience.
- Valid Grade IV California Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator Certificate.
- Valid Class C California Driver's License.
- Advanced knowledge of wastewater treatment principles, methods, chemicals, tools, equipment, and regulatory requirements.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff and other departments, both orally and in writing.
- Computer proficiency.
RECRUITMENT & SELECTION PROCESS
(an eligibility list may be established for future vacancies)
Apply online at: www.ocsan.gov/jobs
APPLICATION FILING DEADLINE: Tuesday, March 28th, 2023; 5:00 P.M.
Hiring Salary Range: $126,692.80 - $139,672.00/Year
(starting salary will be within this range based upon qualifications)
- Mobility to work in an office and in the plant; to sit, stand, and walk on level, uneven, or slippery surfaces; frequently reach, twist, turn, kneel, bend, stoop, squat, crouch, grasp, and make repetitive hand movement in the performance of daily duties; to climb and descend ladders, to operate varied hand and power tools and equipment, and to operate a motor vehicle and visit various OC San sites, projects, and/or meetings.
- Perform medium to heavy physical work; to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects up to 51 pounds with the use of proper equipment and/or assistance from other staff.
- Work requires entry into confined spaces that do not require permits or confined entry equipment and requires the use of proper protective safety equipment.
- Vision to read printed materials, recording devices, and related monitors and to inspect and operate equipment; color vision to read gauges and identify appurtenances.
- Field work requiring frequent walking in operational areas to identify problems or hazards.
- Finger dexterity to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard or calculator and operate tools and equipment.
- Office environment with moderate noise levels, controlled temperature conditions, and no direct exposure to hazardous physical substances.
- Field work with occasional exposure to loud noise levels, cold and hot temperatures, inclement weather conditions, road hazards, vibration, confining workspace, heights, chemicals, mechanical and/or electrical hazards, hazardous physical substances and fumes, dust, and air contaminants.
- Employees may interact with upset staff and/or public and private representatives in interpreting and enforcing departmental policies and procedures.
- May be required to work extended hours, including nights, weekends, and holidays when necessary.
- Probationary Period: All OC San employees, except classifications considered “at-will”, are subject to the probationary period provisions as specified in the applicable Memorandum of Understanding, policies, and/or resolutions. Employees who have not yet successfully completed their initial probationary period serve “at-will” and may be released from employment without cause or recourse to any appeal or grievance procedures.
- Pre-Employment: All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of OC San’s pre-employment process, which includes a background investigation, a physical examination, and a drug screen.
- Work Location Assignment: Employees will be assigned to a work location based on business needs which may be located at any/all of OC San locations; this work location may be changed at any time.
Disaster Service Workers
All Orange County Sanitation District employees are designated Disaster Service Workers through state law (California Government Code Section 3100-3109). Employment with the Orange County Sanitation District requires the affirmation of a loyalty oath to this effect. Employees are required to complete all related training as assigned, and to return to work as ordered in the event of an emergency.
For the full range of duties, responsibilities, and essential job functions please review the Classification Specification for this position found on our website.
Applicants must clearly demonstrate, through their application materials, that they meet the minimum requirements as outlined in the job announcement and class specification to receive further consideration. However, meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee an interview. All properly completed applications will be reviewed, and the most appropriately qualified individuals will be invited to continue in the selection process.
False statements may be cause for disqualification, removal from the eligible list, or discharge from employment. All statements made on applications are subject to investigation and verification.
To ensure your application is accurate and complete, please review the Job Application Guide.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of OC San’s pre-employment process, which includes a background investigation and a physical examination. For some positions, this may include a drug screen. False statements may be cause for disqualification, removal from the eligible list, or discharge from employment. All statements made on applications are subject to investigation and verification.
Reference Checks will be conducted by OC San to verify employment related information for all potential employees once a contingent job offer is made during the background investigation process. This is done to ensure that individuals who join OC San are well qualified and have a strong potential to be successful in their employment. The extent of the inquiry will depend on the position being applied for, but will at least include:
- Verification/Reference from current and past employers
- Confirmation of necessary licenses, certificates, and degrees.
Please have all necessary documentation ready. Additional inquiries may be necessary depending on the position for which you are applying. Human Resources will also schedule a post-offer physical examination once a job offer has been made.
OC San only accepts applications submitted via our online application system. Applications submitted via mail, fax or email will not be accepted.
The provisions of this announcement do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained in this announcement may be modified or revoked without notice.