Responsible for leading the divisions involved in wastewater treatment, heavy industrial plant maintenance, pretreatment, laboratory analysis, industrial plant design and assist with heavy construction management. Also, responsible for acquiring the monetary resources necessary to continuously improve the quality and efficiency of final products, processes and employees.
Number of Direct and Indirect Reports (include titles): 1 – Pretreatment Supervisor,
1 – Water Utilities Lab Manager, 2 – Plant Superintendents
Financial & Budget Responsibility: Development / Review Operating and Capital Budgets: $70 Million
Essential Job Functions
- Direct the operations, maintenance and development of large capacity municipal wastewater treatment plants.
- Stay abreast of ongoing regulatory and industry-specific issues to determine and implement organizational direction.
- Evaluate and predict future conditions and develop corresponding strategic plans for wastewater treatment.
- Coordinate with management team to develop policy and procedures to implement plans and institute associated goals.
- Assess and monitor the wastewater treatment plant infrastructure to provide adequate levels of service both for existing systems and new developments in order to keep the system components safe and reliable, to our customers.
- Oversee and participate in the development and administration of the Wastewater Treatment Department budget, approve the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; approve expenditures and implement budgetary adjustments as appropriate and necessary.
- Direct workforce in procedures that comply with Federal, State and local regulations.
- Plan, direct and coordinate, through subordinate level supervisory and managerial personnel
- Act as City’s representative in industry related issues to other customer cities in responding to customer concerns and legislative issues.
- Negotiate with regulatory agencies concerning content TPDES permits for both wastewater facilities.
- Serve as the city’s representative for Wastewater Treatment issues.
Minimum Education & Work Experience
- Four year college degree in Engineering, Chemistry, Biology, Biochemistry or similar field of study
- 10 years related experience in wastewater utilities
- 5 years management experience
- TCEQ Type B Wastewater Treatment License or the ability to obtain within 2 years
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
Preferred Knowledge - Abilities & Skills
- Master’s Degree in Engineering, Chemistry, Biology, Biochemistry or similar field of study
- Licensed Professional Engineer in the State of Texas
- 10+ years experience in a Wastewater Plant or similar experience
- 5-7 years management experience
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of Wastewater operations
- Extensive knowledge of Wastewater inspection, lab procedures and pretreatment operations
- Extensive knowledge of Chemical and Biological principles related to wastewater treatment
- Extensive knowledge of utility operations and general practices
- Knowledge of budget development techniques and procurement processes.
- Basic skill in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Ability to direct the work of others
Licenses & Certifications
? Valid Class C Texas driver's license
Physical Tasks & Working Conditions
The incumbent works in a typical office environment; relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards.
Close: May 12, 2023