THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
The City of Sacramento, Department of Utilities is seeking to fill a Senior Engineer position in the CIP section.
The ideal candidate will have construction management experience, the ability to work well in a team environment with a variety of personalities, manage conflict, and maintain a positive attitude. The Senior Engineer position will be responsible for:
- Supervise construction management of water, sewer and drainage capital improvement projects
- Reviewing plans and specifications to identify constructability issues.
- Managing inspection workload on all Department of Utility projects by coordinating with Public Works and consultant inspectors.
- Implementing City Standards, City Codes and City Contract language.
- Preparing written communication between Contractors and Department of Utilities to provide a consistent message to the construction community.
- Developing and implementing guidelines and policies for managing Capital Improvement Projects during construction.
- Reviewing and negotiating change orders, resolving conflicts with contractors, serving as a single point of contact for Department of Utility on construction issues.
- Managing the contract administration group.
Under general direction, the Senior Engineer participates in the conduct of complicated civil, electrical, or mechanical engineering planning, design, and assessment activities; develops plans; inspects sites and assists in problem resolution; coordinates engineering related activities with other City departments and outside agencies; conducts engineering planning studies; prepares grant applications.
This advanced journey-level class is populated with multiple incumbents. Senior Engineers perform the most complex professional civil, electrical, or mechanical engineering work requiring a substantial level of professional training. Incumbents may also lead professional and technical personnel on a team or project basis. Assignments require the exercise of independent judgment and initiative in scheduling, assigning, and coordinating the work with that of other units, referring only unusual or highly-complex problems. Senior Engineer is distinguished from
Supervising Engineer in that the latter manages broad professional engineering categories, such as electrical, mechanical, civil, traffic, water, and sanitation. The classification of Senior Engineer is distinguished from that of Associate Civil Engineer in that the former serves as project or team leader and performs the most complex and highly skilled engineering work while the latter is the journey level in the registered engineer series.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
General direction is provided by a Supervising Engineer or a division head. Incumbents may oversee a project team consisting of professional and technical personnel staff assigned to a project.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops, plans, and estimates work orders for the construction of public works projects; inspects project sites, assists in solution of difficult problems; interprets specifications and City policy; makes change orders.
- Participates in the selection and management of consultant engineers for the development of plans and specifications, studies and reports; reviews plans for construction prepared by private engineers; may supervise, train, and evaluate professional and technical subordinates.
- Checks computations and specified materials for accuracy and conformance with regulations; reviews and makes recommendations on technical reports and studies. Initiates and conducts engineering planning studies to identify public works facility; reviews and participates in the preparation of environmental assessments and studies; prepares periodic project status reports; checks private building plans for compliance with City building codes and ordinances.
- Serves as staff to a variety of City commissions, boards, and committees on public works engineering matters; coordinates engineering related activities with other City departments, divisions, and sections and with outside agencies.
- Prepares various applications for State and Federal grants; assists in the preparation and administration of budget and capital improvement plan.
- Performs other or related duties as assigned.
- Principles and practices of engineering.
- Modern methods and techniques used in the design and construction of a wide variety of public works engineering projects.
- Modern developments, current literature, and sources of information regarding the assigned area of engineering.
- Applicable laws and regulatory codes relevant to design and construction in the area of assignment.
- Use of computers, computer applications, and software.
- Use of computer aided design systems.
- Make complex engineering computations.
- Check, design, and supervise the construction of a wide variety of public and private facilities.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing. Use a variety of drafting and engineering apparatus.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Four years of experience in professional engineering work in area of assignment including some supervisory experience and/or highly complex civil, electrical or mechanical technical work.
Possession of a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in an engineering discipline related to the area of assignment.
PROOF OF EDUCATION
Proof of education such as, but not limited to, university/college transcripts and degrees must be submitted to the City of Sacramento Employment Office in person, as an attachment(s) to the online application, faxed to (916) 596-1556, or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org b y the final filing deadline. If submitting in person or via fax/email, please include your name and Job # 001817-20-DD your documents. Unofficial documents and/or copies are acceptable. Important note: Applications will be rejected without proof of education.
An applicant with a college degree obtained outside the United States must have education records evaluated by a credentials evaluation service. This evaluation must be submitted b y the f inal filing deadline.
Possession of a valid California Class C Driver License at the time of appointment. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to physical disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Possession of a Certificate of Registration as a professional engineer in the State of California.
PROOF OF CERTIFICATION
Proof of the required certificate and/or license must be submitted to the City of Sacramento Employment Office in person, as an attachment(s) to the online application, faxed to (916) 596- 1556, or emailed to email@example.com b y the final filing deadline. If submitting in person or via fax/email, please include your name and Job # 001817-20-DD on your documents. Unofficial documents and/or copies are acceptable. Important note: Applications will be rejected without proof of the required certification or license.