ALL APPLICANTS MUST SUBMIT A CITY APPLICATION WHICH CAN BE FOUND AT:
Water Plant Supervisor
Type: Full Time
Salary/Pay Rate: $41.38 - $46.58/hr DOE
Posted Date: 4/28/2023
FIRST REVIEW: 05/15/2023 8:00 AM
Minimum three (3) years Water Treatment Plant experience required
This is a full-time, Fair Labor Standards Act non-exempt, non-Civil Service position. A typical work week is Monday to Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. with periodic callouts on weekends and evenings based on operational needs and emergencies. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by the American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) Local 120.
Under the general supervision of the Public Works Supervisor, the Water Plant Supervisor is responsible for efficient and safe operation and maintenance of the City’s water treatment facilities and for ensuring that the facilities function properly at all times. The Water Plant Supervisor prepares all reports required by the Department of Health for the City Water Department and/or any other applicable regulatory agency, guides and participates in all maintenance activates to ensure that the City’s water treatment facilities and distribution systems are operating properly. Water Plant Supervisor will be required to cross train in all other departments of Public Works for the purpose of “On Call” duties and backup for other departments as needed.
The Water Plant Supervisor will participate and supervise the work of all staff assigned to assist in day-to-day operations and activities as well as the work of Water-Wastewater Operators.
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Oversee general operation and safety of the water treatment facilities
- Schedule maintenance activities for the Water Department, participate in all activities and document time and material for completed activities
- Schedule, perform and document testing required by the Department of Health
- Complete and submit required reports and documentation to the Department of Health and other regulators
- Monitor water distribution system, ensuring safe and proper functioning at all times
- Maintain all equipment allocated to the department; ensure that equipment is in good working order
- Resolve citizen complaints, including follow-up investigation and research regarding water, sewer, street, cemetery, and draining related problems
- Prepare Washington State Department of Health monthly water report
- Complete reports and inspections for the Cross Connection Control program
- Monitor and maintain control over inventory of departmental supplies
- Collection of samples for water testing
- Monitor plant SCADA system
- General monitoring, maintenance and documentation of tanks, pumps, motors, generators and lab equipment for water facilities
- Assign tasks to subordinate employees, participate in all tasks, and monitor progress to completion and document activities.
- Direct proper disposal of hazardous materials incurred or produced in the course of operations of the facilities
- Assist in other City Departments as needed including—Wastewater, Stormwater, Streets. Parks and Cemetery
- Document time, materials and projects completed
- As assigned, set up work assignments for community service workers
- High school diploma or GED
- Five (5) years performing maintenance work in a water related field
- Three (3) years water treatment plant operator experience
License or Certification (required):
- Washington State driver’s license
- Washington State Department of Health Water Distribution Manager 2 Certification
- Washington State Department of Ecology Wastewater Operator I Certification
- Washington State Water Treatment Plant Operator Certification.
- Washington State Department of Health Cross Connection Control Certification
- Washington State Asbestos Cement Pipe Work Certification
- Confined Space Certificate
- Medical Plan (80% premium paid by employer 20% by employee for covered family members)
- Dental Plan
- Vision Plan
- Life and Accidental D&D Insurance
- Long-term Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- WA State Dept of Retirement PERS plan
- 12 paid holidays per year
- 2 personal holidays per year
- 457/Deferred Compensation Options
- Paid Vacation and Sick leave
The City of Orting is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
Applicants are required to submit a City application with a cover letter. Please see city website for complete instructions on how to apply and a general description of responsibilities.
Please note: The City accepts applications for open positions only. If you are applying for an open position it is important that you:
- Review the job announcement and description carefully. Incomplete application materials may disqualify you.
- Applications forms must be initialed, signed and dated.
- If you apply for more than one job opening, a separate application is required for each position.
If you are not selected as a finalist the City of Orting does not send formal notification to applicants who are not selected for an interview or test. Another application must be submitted for each new opening that becomes available.