TITLE: SERVICE WORKER II
DEPARTMENT: PUBLIC SERVICES
STATUS: NON-EXEMPT HOURLY
ENTRY LEVEL PAY RANGE: $13.51 TO $18.41 PER HOUR
The City of Gulf Breeze, Public Services Department is seeking qualified candidates for the full-time position of Service Worker II – South Santa Rosa Utility System (SSRUS). The position’s entry level pay range is $13.51 to $18.41 per hour, based on qualifications. Excellent benefits. The service worker performs semi-skilled work, involving the installation, cleaning and maintenance of water lines, force mains inspection and repair of lift stations. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Water and Sewer Supervisor and work may be assigned to be performed under the supervision of a Foreman as determined by the Water and Sewer Supervisor.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Performs routine maintenance on water distribution and sewer collection systems.
2. Installs and repairs water lines, well points, pumps, manholes, and all related facilities.
3. Digs and backfills ditches, loads dirt and construction materials.
4. Operates fire hydrant in flushing water lines.
5. Performs taps on water and reclaim systems.
6. Locates buried pipes, valves, etc.
7. Repairs leaks on water, wastewater, and reclaim systems.
8. Turns services on and off. Reads meters.
9. Maintains, inspects, and repairs pumps.
10. Operates back hoe, truck, trailer, boring machine, trencher, wet top machine, saws, etc.
(These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related marginal duties as required.)
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
Knowledge of materials, methods, practices and equipment used in water/wastewater
facilities maintenance and repair activities.
- Ability to communicate verbally using the English language.
- Ability to operate heavy equipment including back hoe, boring machine, etc.
- Ability to follow directions.
- Ability to read and interpret instructions.
- Ability to read and interpret utility maps and drawings.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High school graduation or possession of an acceptable equivalency diploma. Two (2) years of experience in heavy manual labor and the use of hand and light power tools preferably in the water distribution/sewer collection area.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS OR REGISTRATIONS:
Possess and maintain a valid Florida Driver’s License, preferably Class “B” CDL, or obtain within 1 year of employment.
And at least 2 of the following Certifications:
- Class C Water Treatment Plant Operator License
- Water Distribution Certification
- Backflow Preventors Certification
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL SKILLS:
- Heavy (45 pounds and over) lifting and carrying.
- Acceptable eyesight (with or without corrective lenses).
- Acceptable hearing (with or without hearing aid).
- Ability to communicate orally.
- Climbing, walking and standing
- Kneeling, bending, stooping.
- Operates equipment.
- Works outside in various weather conditions.
- Confined spaces.
- Around power equipment.
- Slippery surfaces.
- Below ground level.
(Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.)
A valid Florida Driver’s License is required. The City of Gulf Breeze is a Drug Free Work Place and Equal Opportunity Employer. The City participates in E- Verify.