This is a non-exempt, full-time, classified position with full benefits. Expected hiring range is minimum of range 20; Hiring range: $21.68 per hour - $25.10 per hour. Full long term range of position is $21.68 per hour - $31.94 per hour.
Download position flyer here.
Download job description here.
DESCRIPTION: Under general supervision of the Utility Operations Manager, performs specialized technical work, maintenance, oversight and supervisory functions involved in the operation and maintenance of the City of Cottonwood’s potable water treatment facilities and distribution systems. Ensures that all phases of operation meet Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ) and federal requirements to maintain and protect public the safety, health, and property; and performs related duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act), may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this classification.
TASKS: Operates and maintains water production, storage and distribution facilities. Coordinates work schedule of field operations staff. Performs distribution system field marking of buried utilities (AZ 811). Checks equipment for proper operation; makes repairs or arranges for repairs to be made. Maintains and repairs pumps, motors, valves, and other equipment. Analyzes data and recommends options for maintaining proper levels of service. Inspection and oversight of construction projects; plan review and regulatory compliance assurance.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements for potable water systems.
- Knowledge of water treatment facility and distribution system operations.
- Knowledge of the safety requirements for water treatment facilities and distribution system operations.
- Knowledge of the proper maintenance and repair of water equipment and infrastructure.
- Knowledge of basic laboratory procedures.
- Skill in developing and maintaining effective interpersonal relations.
- Skilled in reading and interpreting equipment manuals, blueprints and electrical diagrams.
- Skilled in analyzing data and drawing valid conclusions.
- Skilled in the detection and repair of water leaks.
- Skilled in operating heavy equipment, such as track hoes, backhoes, skid-steers, etc.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and schedule routine, non-routine and emergency situations.
- Ability to effectively supervise personnel in the operation and maintenance of water treatment and distribution systems.
- Ability to analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals.
This classification involves work that requires the ability to traverse uneven terrain, climb ladders, perform repairs on equipment, lifting heavy objects up to 60 pounds, ability to wear a respirator and use public works equipment.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: The equivalent of a high school diploma or GED, an Arizona Driver’s license, ADEQ Grade 2 Certifications in Water Treatment or Distribution, or the ability to obtain a Grade 2 Certification in Water Treatment or Distribution within three (3) months and three (3) years potable water treatment and distribution system operations experience. The possession of a Commercial Drivers License (CDL), asbestos certification and previous supervisory experience is desirable.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: May be required to work overtime, holidays and weekends and be on-call 24 hours per day, per the departmental on-call policy. Must be able to respond to call out within twenty (20) minutes.
This position will remain open until filled.
With an elevation of 3,300 feet, Cottonwood is a small but growing community situated in the heart of the Verde Valley, which is located 90 miles north of Phoenix and 50 miles south of Flagstaff, at the base of Mingus Mountain. We have convenient shopping, hotels, restaurants, and a picturesque Historic Old Town, bustling with activity. Visit the local vineyards and tasting rooms, ancient Indian ruins, historic parks, landmarks, and ghost towns. Explore the hiking trails, golf at our scenic courses, or kayak down the beautiful Verde River. Enjoy the perfect balance of job satisfaction and phenomenal quality of life the area has to offer!