W/WW Utility Electrician II
SALARY: $26.24 - $38.16 Hourly
STATUS: Full-Time Regular
FLSA: Non-exempt position, eligible for overtime compensation.
OPENING DATE: 05/09/22
CLOSING DATE: Continuous
Located in the beautiful Sonoran Desert, Scottsdale, Arizona is bordered by Phoenix to the westand the McDowell Mountains on the east. Scottsdale is annually rated among the nation's mostdesirable communities to live in, visit and do business in. Check out more
The application and supplemental questions are an integral part of the selection process, and mustbe completed in full in order for you to be considered as a candidate. Please complete eachsection and answer all questions as thoroughly as possible. DO NOT state “See resume” in lieu of answering. Unanswered questions, incomplete responses, omissions, or partial informationmay result in disqualification from the selection process.
About The Position
This position performs industrial journey-level electrical, electronic and computer work in theinstallation, maintenance and repair of the City's water and wastewater systems and equipment.
Please Note: The salary range as of June 19, 2022 will be $27.55 - $40.07.
Please Note: There are multiple positions. Based on the needs of the city, this position hasbeen reposted Open Continuous; the city reserves the right to close the posting when asufficient number of applications have been received.
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of this positionmay be invited to participate in a selection process to include an interview panel and skillsassessment. Final selection is contingent upon a background check which includes:
- Fingerprint Search of the National FBI Database
- Criminal Background screening
- Drug Testing
- Physical Examination to include an Audiogram and Visual Ishihara Color Test
- Motor Vehicle Department Records Check
Click here to view the entire job description.
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.
Education and Experience:
A High School diploma or General Educational Development (GED) equivalent.
Five years of experience as a journeyman-level electrician in an industrial setting, threeyears of which includes equivalent experience as a utility electrician or instrumentationtechnician in a municipal Water or Wastewater environment.
Satisfactory completion of a two-year electrician apprenticeship in an industrial setting willmeet the required years of experience for the Water/Wastewater Utility Technician II.
Licensing, Certifications and Other Requirements:
The Scottsdale Water Resources Division offers an Operator Certification Incentive Program forthose employees who obtain certifications above what is required of their positions. Thedepartment recognizes the intrinsic value of operator certifications and the added value to the cityof having a workforce that possess them.
- Must possess and maintain a valid, unrestricted driver's license with no major citations withinthe past 39 months prior to the start date. The Arizona Department of Motor Vehiclesrequires that out-of-state driver's licenses must be surrendered within 10 days of relocatingto the State of Arizona.
Must possess or obtain and maintain within six months of hire or promotion a Grade 1operator certification from the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality ( ADEQ) withinone of the following disciplines - Water Treatment, Water Distribution, WastewaterTreatment, or Wastewater Collection.
- Every person employed by the City of Scottsdale shall reside in the State of Arizona duringhis or her active employment by the City, regardless of whether the employee is approved toremote work.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending ondepartment/section assignment.
- Installs, maintains and repairs high-voltage electrical systems, well pump equipment,booster stations, sewer lift stations, motors, switch gear and control equipment, andcalibrates electrical, solid state electronic and process control equipment using instrumentssuch as voltmeters, ammeters, ohmmeters, oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, signalgenerators, frequency counters, and data-line analyzers.
- Repairs Water and Wastewater systems with motors up to 800 horse power with voltagesfrom 24 volts control systems to up to 4160 volts.
- Works with voltages from 24 volts control systems to 12,500 medium voltage distributionsystems.
- Installs and maintains transformers, substations, and related control equipment (motors,generators, pumps).
- Installs, maintains, troubleshoots, repairs video and access control security systemsthroughout our infrastructure.
- Troubleshoots and repairs process control equipment located at the City's water andwastewater treatment facilities; uses the data collected from the telemetry system to troubleshoot system deficiencies or problems and assist other personnel to use the availabledata as required.
- Reads and updates electrical schematics and control drawings.
- Provides technical help and safety guidance to Water/Wastewater Utility Electrician I.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Bend and stoop repeatedly; good hand/eye coordination.
- Climb ladders or steps to reach work areas.
- Work at heights greater than ten feet.
- Remain in a standing position for extended periods of time.
- Make precise arm-hand positioning movements (i.e., operates an electric hand drill).
- Moderate exposure to dust, grease, noise, inclement weather, temperature extremes andunpleasant but not hazardous odors.
- Lift arms above shoulder level to work in various areas.
- Work in small, cramped areas such as ceiling crawl spaces, equipment enclosures, closets,etc.
- Travel across rough, uneven, or rocky surfaces; climbing elevations.
- Lift and move heavy objects up to 50 pounds long distances (20 feet).
- Distinguish between the full range of colors in the color spectrum to work with electricalwires in confined spaces and tight spaces.
- Operate a motor vehicle to travel to/from various locations.
- Work overtime, rotating weekend shifts, holidays and a call-out schedule.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
All applicants will be considered for employment withoutregard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or marital status.
When advised reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualifiedapplicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contactHuman Resources to request an accommodation.
Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionistat (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allowtime to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939)may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer andemployee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer andrequirements of the position change.
W/WW Utility Electrician II Supplemental Questionnaire
*1. Can you, after employment, submit proof of your legal right to work in the United Stateswithout sponsorship from the City of Scottsdale or any other employmentrequirement/restriction that would impact your potential employment with the City ofScottsdale?
*2. Do you have a valid, unrestricted driver's license with no major citations within the last 39months of hire?
NOTE: "Unrestricted" means you are not limited on where and when youcan drive and/or you are not required to have a car breathalyzer installed to operate yourvehicle.
*3. Do you have at least 5 years of experience as a journeyman-level electrician in anindustrial setting, 3 years of which includes equivalent experience as a utilities electricianor instrumentation technician in a municipal Water or Wastewater environment? NOTE: Ifyou answered yes to this question, you must include this experience in the "WorkExperience" section of the application.
*4. Have you satisfactorily completed a two-year electrician apprenticeship in an industrialsetting? NOTE: If you answered yes to this question, you must include this experience inthe "Work Experience" section of the application.
*5. Do you have or can you obtain and maintain within six months of hire or promotion aGrade I Operator certification from the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality(ADEQ) within one of the following disciplines - Water Treatment, Water Distribution,Wastewater Treatment or Wastewater Collection? NOTE: If you currently have Operatorcertification, you must include this information in the "Certifications and Licenses" sectionof your application, including the issuing authority, discipline, grade and expiration date.
*6. This position requires working overtime, rotating weekend shifts, holidays and a call-outschedule. Are you able to work these schedules as needed?
* Required Question