The City of Sacramento, Department of Utilities is seeking to fill a Plant Operator position. This position performs skilled work in the operation of the City's drinking water treatment plants, wells, reservoirs and distribution system, and to assist in monitoring and directing the pumping of storm water, wastewater, and potable water.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform and interpret standardized water quality tests such as chlorine residual, pH, turbidity, alkalinity, total suspended solids, settleable solids, disolved oxygen and jar tests, and calculate and make dosage and related chemical feed equipment adjustments based upon the results from such tests.
- Monitor water quality during treatment process through visual inspection and the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) system and adjust influent flows, chemical dosages and filtration rates based on observations.
- Inspect and operate plant equipment and intake facilities
- Adjust pump speeds and/or activate or deactivate pumps as necessary to regulate flows.
- Monitor and adjust water pressures in the City-wide water distribution system.
- Assist in performing various filter tests as part of the filter surveillance program.
- Maintain control and water treatment system logs and records.
- Use SCADA and computerized maintenance management systems.
- Troubleshoot and correct a variety of electrical and mechanical problems or potential problems.
- Perform preventive maintenance duties, including painting equipment, cleaning filters, and custodial and grounds maintenance.
- Understand and applty the principles, theories and operations of process control computers.
- Operate and monitor large pumps, compressors, generators and automated control equipment.
- Read instruments, mearsuring devices, and pressure gauges.
- Learn and interpret water-related trends. schematics, charts, prints, and specifications.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records and operation logs.
- Understand SCADA and computerized maintenance management systems operation.
Education and Experience:
Any combination equivalent to experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge and abilities. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- One year of progressively responsible experience in the operation of a drinking water treatment plant.
Possession of a valid California Class C Driver License and T-2 Water Treatment Operator Certificate from the California Department of Health Services are required at the time of appointment.
Annual salary for this position is from $53,523 - $75,627. For additional information, please visit the City of Sacramento Human Resources Department websites at http://www.cityofsacramento.org/HR/Career-Opportunities.