Under the general supervision of the Wastewater Plant Superintendent, the Maintenance position performs mowing, trimming, pruning, ground and irrigation system maintenance, painting, washing down of clarifier weirs, and other duties as assigned. This position will utilize a variety of related maintenance equipment such as the weed trimmer, lawn tractor, skid steer, and miscellaneous hand tools.
This seasonal position will be offered at 40 hours per week starting as early as April 8th, 2019 and ending no later than October 4th, 2019.
This position requires candidate finalists complete and successfully pass a 5-panel drug screening, including testing for THC (marijuana), in addition to a physical, background and driving record check, and acceptable reference checks prior to employment.
**Applications will be reviewed as they are received.**
Examples of Duties
- Maintains water treatment plant grounds by mowing, trimming, pruning, etc as needed
- Maintains ground and irrigation systems. Seeks help for any major repairs.
- Collects, records, evaluates, and maintains plant data.
- Reads gauges and records information shown.
- Maintains plant inventory of parts and supplies; orders replacements as needed.
- Inspect motors, bearings, and gear boxes for overheating, proper lubrication, and proper operation; uses meter and gauge readings to determine performance of equipment.
- Performs preventive, predictive, and corrective maintenance. Determines root cause on corrective maintenance; consults drawings, operations manuals, or vendors to assist with troubleshooting problems.
- Completes work orders with oversight from Chief Plant Operator.
- Keeps Chief Plant Operator informed of pertinent information regarding overall process.
- Uses proper PPE when necessary and maintains vigilant focus on safety hazards. Alerts Supervisor of safety concerns in a timely manner.
- Conducts visual inspections of working apparatus and grounds; performs housekeeping duties such as sweeping and mopping floors, washing windows, painting, and light building maintenance.
- Completes raw water rounds with some oversight.
- Assist with administrative tasks as needed.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE
- All candidates must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must possess a valid Colorado driver's license with an acceptable driving record.
- Some mowing, landscaping and/or irrigation experience preferred.
- Mechanical inclination and aptitude also preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to learn to operate and maintain mechanical and electrical equipment.
- Ability to understand written and oral instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain professional working relationships.
- Ability to learn the operation of tools and equipment such as weed trimmer, lawn tractor, skid steer, and miscellaneous hand tools.
- Ability to work nights, weekends, holidays, and shift work.
- Ability to stand, walk, sit, and/or climb for extended periods.
- Skill in reading and interpreting the data on meters, gauges, etc.
- Skill in the use of a personal computer.
- Ability to work in isolation with minimal supervision and achieve desired results.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, citizens, and contractors.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE JOB
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands, fingers, handle, or feel tools or controls; read, speak and hear; and taste or smell. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds without assistance. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. The employee must have the ability to climb up and down steep ladders and stairs. The employee must have the ability to walk up to one-half mile per day for site inspections.
Frequent exposure to noise levels that may cause distractions. Work is performed in an outdoor environment occasionally in inclement weather conditions including: heat, rain, wind and sun.
OTHER NECESSARY REQUIREMENTS:
Candidates will be required to complete and pass a pre-employment physical, substance screen, and a background investigation prior to employment.