Posting Title: Accounting Associate II
Job Requisition Number: COA088835
Position Number: 116809
Job Type: Full-Time
Division Name: Budget Accounting
- Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four year college or university with major course work in a field related to Finance, Accounting, or Economics.
- Up to four (4) years of related experience may be substituted for education.
Licenses or Certifications:
Notes to Applicants: Working with Austin Water provides a number of benefits including medical, paid leave time, a great retirement plan, training opportunities and more! Click HERE for more information.
When completing the City of Austin employment application:
- Please be sure to detail on the application all previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications. Please include contact information from previous employers.
- A detailed, complete employment application is required. It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Be sure to provide job title and employment dates for all jobs you wish to be considered.
- A resume is required but will not substitute for a complete employment application. Please do not use the phrase “see resume” or refer to other documents to complete your application. Do not leave the “Duties and Responsibilities” sections blank. These will be considered incomplete applications. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
If you are selected for hire:
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED, undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) is required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization or institution. You must also provide proof of your professional licenses or certifications.
- If you are in the military or are a military veteran, you will need to provide a copy of the Member 4 page of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
- A criminal background investigation is required.
If you are selected for this position and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
Effective October 1, 2014, all Austin Water worksite locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any AW worksite – including construction sites, parking lot, garage or in any personal vehicle located on the premises.
Pay Range: $22.85 – $26.24
Hours: Mon – Fri 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM with some flexibility (Hybrid)
Job Close Date: 05/01/2023
Type of Posting: External
Department: Austin Water Utility
Grant Funded or Pooled Position: Not Applicable
Location: Waller Creek Center, 625 E. 10th St., Austin, TX
- Experience in accounts payable related activities.
- Experience in handling and responding to customer services and inquiries.
- Experience in cash handling and credit card reconciliation.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel.
- Ability to travel to more than one work location.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities: Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Prepares and reviews payments, cash receipts, billing or other accounting transactions by verifying documentation and accurately completing transactions.
- Prepares asset, liability, and capital account entries by compiling and analyzing account information.
- Performs non-routine duties associated with the reconciliation, balancing or processing of vouchers, ledgers, journals, reports and statements.
- Researches and resolves complex and difficult billing, invoicing, financial inquiries, accounting and budget information.
- Reconciles accounts, identifies and prepares corrections by collecting and analyzing account information and analyzing accounting options.
- Processes travel documentation and monitors credit card activity and ensures that transactions and supplemental documentation is in compliance with policies, procedures and internal controls.
- Prepares standard and non-standard financial reports, financial analysis, data analysis and graphical data. Prepares financial statements and/or special financial reports including balance sheets, income statements, and other reports.
- Research and reconciles accounting transactions, fixes discrepancies. Maintains information and reviews financial transactions by creating and/or monitoring electronic files and/or accounting documents.
- Prepares audit work papers for annual or special audit by accumulating data accurately for assigned area(s) in a timely and accurate manner.
- Assists in the development of guidelines, procedures and templates for financial review and reporting.
- Maintains accounting controls and financial security by following policies and procedures and internal controls.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Knowledge of financial reporting concepts and preferred business practices.
- Skill in analyzing and interpreting financial records.
- Skill in processing large volumes of numerical data
- Skill in identifying problems and recommending solutions
- Skill in effective verbal and written communication.
- Skill in operating a personal computer and related equipment.
- Skill in performing basic mathematical calculations.
- Skill in classifying fiscal data and compiling reports.
- Skill in developing complex spreadsheets.
- Ability to plan and organize tasks to complete projects.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize duties
- Ability to resolve problems or situations requiring the exercise of good judgment.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public.
Criminal Background Investigation: This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
EEO/ADA: City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or Texas Relay by dialing 7-1-1.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual’s AIDS, AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Minimum Qualifications for an Accountant Associate II position are graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited four year college or university with major course work in a field related to Finance, Accounting, or Economics. Up to four (4) years of related experience may be substituted for education. Do you meet the minimum qualifications?
- * Please describe how you meet these minimum qualifications. Please detail how you meet the educational requirements, account for the years of related experience, and explain any substitutions of experience for education, or vice-versa (if applicable). Indicate the position(s) listed on your application that support(s) your answer.
- (Open Ended Question)
- * Briefly describe your purchasing and/or accounts payable experience, including number of years and the complexity of the procedures.
- (Open Ended Question)
- * What type of retail cashier-type experience do you have, if any?
- Run cash register
- Run and close cash register
- Run and close cash register and supervise cashier operations
- Supervise cashier operations only
- * Describe your experience with managing a credit card payment system.
- (Open Ended Question)
- * Describe your experience in daily Cash Reconciliation and booking entries to the Financial System.
- (Open Ended Question)
- * Which of the following best describes your proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, specifically with Word, Excel, and Outlook?
- No experience
- Basic: create/edit simple documents, spreadsheets, & emails
- Intermediate: create/edit a variety of documents & spreadsheets; reformat document features such as color, font style and size of text, change page size/width, & filter/sort data fields
- Advanced: create/edit complex documents & spreadsheets; integrate features such as tables, charts, mathematic formulas, hyperlinks, graphics; data/mail merge, import data from one document to another
- * Do you have the ability to travel to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties?
- * If identified as a top candidate, do you agree to a Criminal Background Investigation (CBI)?
- * Were you referred to this opportunity by an Austin Water employee? If yes, please provide the employee’s full name.
- (Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter