Under close supervision of the Laboratory Supervisor(s), performs routine laboratory and field analysis work to assure that drinking water meets regulatory and internal process requirements. Performs general laboratory maintenance and record keeping activities.
$22.43 - $36.77 (Hourly Wage)
- Performs routine laboratory and field analysis work by:
- Collecting water samples from natural sources (rivers, streams and reservoirs), drinking water sources (consumers, sample stations and water mains), and various stages during and after the treatment process for microbiological, field and other parameters as needed using approved methodology.
- Performing field test – such as pH, chlorine, temperature, etc.
- Performing microbiological analyses for regulatory compliance and process control monitoring
- Assisting with / performing phytoplankton analysis.
- Assisting with / performing inorganic sample preparation and analysis
- Assisting with / performing limited metal analyses to include sample preparation.
- Assisting with special project analyses.
- Preparing reagents required for routine laboratory analyses using approved methods.
- Maintaining and assuring that laboratory records are legible, accurate and on time.
- Entering and retrieving computer data and generating reports using software programs such as Excel, Word and the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS).
- Complying with Fairfax Water and Laboratory policies and procedures.
- Performs general laboratory maintenance and record keeping activities by:
- Cleaning and sterilizing glassware and other equipment required for laboratory operations.
- Assisting in the performance of routine calibrations of laboratory equipment.
- Maintaining and restocking chemicals and supplies required for laboratory operations.
- Performing laboratory safety checks.
- Performing Quality Assurance / Quality Control checks on laboratory equipment and reagents as needed.
- Performs sample receipt and login.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Graduation from a four-year college or university with a bachelor’s degree in Biology, Microbiology, Environmental Science and/or Chemistry and some related experience is preferred, or any equivalent combination of education, experience and knowledge.
- Minimum of at least three months of bench experience in water, milk, or food microbiology preferred
- Knowledge of the principles, practices and laboratory techniques of biology, microbiology, and chemistry.
- Basic level of computer knowledge (experience with Microsoft Word and Excel).
- Knowledge of the operation and care of standard laboratory equipment such as pH and fluoride meters, photometers, titrators and other related equipment.
- Ability to perform routine laboratory analysis accurately.
- Ability to perform work in a safe and timely manner.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to perform mathematical operations of percentages, ratios, proportions and conversions.
- Ability to work effectively with co-workers and to deal tactfully and courteously with the public.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and a good driving record.
- Available for assignments at both Fairfax Water treatment plant facilities.
- Ability to work a minimum of two weekend days per month, with days off during the preceding week.
- Ability to work overtime as required.
- Ability to work some occasional holidays as needed.
- Must pass a controlled substance (drug) test for employment.
- Ability to lift materials weighing approximately 25- 50 pounds.
- Ability to distinguish colors and odors associated with laboratory testing and analysis.
- Ability to operate an optical microscope for an extended period of time.
- Manual dexterity necessary in handling laboratory equipment.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle safely.
- Ability to swim.
- Ability to handle known toxic chemicals, taking all necessary precautions to prevent undue exposure to self, fellow workers and the environment.
- Ability to operate communication systems (e.g. portable radios, cell phones, etc.).
To review the full job description for the position please go to our website at www.fairfaxwater.org and apply online. Fairfax Water offers competitive salaries as well as a comprehensive benefits package, including excellent health insurance, tuition reimbursement, flexible spending accounts, and a defined benefit retirement plan. Applications must be received by May 13, 2019.