Under general supervision, perform a variety of grounds keeping, cleaning, maintenance, and repair duties at the fully skilled level at one or more of the LOTT Clean Water Alliance (LOTT) facilities.
Examples of Duties
The Maintenance Worker series consists the classifications of Maintenance Worker I and Maintenance Worker II.
MWI's perform routine labor, basic repair and construction, grounds maintenance and basic landscaping, and general building cleaning. Work is completed by following standard operating procedures, verbal instructions or supervision. The more routine assignments can be accomplished with general supervision from directions. More skilled duties and responsibilities are performed in a training capacity as a member of a crew under the close supervision of a more experienced employee.
The Maintenance Worker II (MWII) is the fully skilled level of the Maintenance Worker Series. MWII's are expected to be fully skilled in the tasks of a particular maintenance function, and operate all necessary hand/power tools and equipment with sufficient skill to independently perform tasks. MWII's receive assignments focused on one or more areas of particular skill and ability in a variety of trades, and include duties involving the construction, alteration, maintenance, and repair of LOTT facilities and grounds.
Typical duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Cleaning roofs, gutters and downspouts;
- Completing minor plumbing repairs;
- Weed and clean flowerbeds
- Patching and painting;
- Assist or perform moving of furniture in various lacations;
- Deliver samples to contract laboratories;
- May assist other Maintenance team members with various tasks;
- Clean, paint, and repair or replace damaged floors, walls, or ceilings;
- Construct concrete forms, finish concrete, and install sheetrock;
- Utilize, repair and maintain a variety of tools and equipment
- Operate boom trucks, forklifts, backhoes, cement mixers, lawn mowers, or dump trucks;
- Perform minor vehicle maintenance such as detailing and checking and replenishing fluid levels;
- Demonstrate regular and reliable attendance; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Working conditions will vary depending upon assignment. Maintenance staff may be assigned to work throughout all LOTT facilities, such as Satellite Treatment Plants, Recharge Basins, Reclamation Ponds and Pump Stations. These include hazardous work areas such as: street surfaces, rights-of-way and medians; in ditches, pits, underground vaults and other confined spaces and around heavy equipment. Maintenance Workers may operate potentially dangerous tools or equipment. Some duties may have potential exposure to toxic chemicals, gases and/or raw sewage. Typical assignments are outdoors, occasionally requiring work in inclement weather at dirty, wet, noisy, smelly, or cramped work sites. The work involves strenuous manual labor, requiring physical dexterity and mechanical aptitude. This position also requires the physical capability and mobility to navigate all types of surfaces and terrain.
- Work hazards and applicable safety precautions associated with maintenance of wastewater treatment facilities and grounds;
- Gardening fundamentals including proper care and maintenance of lawns, plants, shrubs and trees and the appropriate use of herbicides, pesticides, fertilizers and other chemicals;
- Landscape irrigation and irrigation system maintenance, including principles of backflow prevention and cross-connection;
- Paint systems and proper product selection and application;
- Basic welding techniques, including oxyaceteylene;
- Safe rigging practices for the lifting of heavy equipment, and;
- Basic building, landscaping and building maintenance techniques.
- Performing basic carpentry, plumbing, painting, gardening, and other facilities maintenance work;
- Performing basic preventative maintenance, including but not limited to oil filter changes on a variety of equipment; and
- Operation of a variety of tools and equipment including, but not limited to: lawn mowers, trimmers, dump trucks, forklifts, boom trucks, backhoe, jackhammers, and various power and hand tools.
- Work effectively as a member of a team or crew;
- Follow verbal and written instructions;
- Assist in the design, install and maintain landscaping projects;
- Perform basic plumbing tasks;
- Read and understand blueprints and CAD drawings;
- Work with little or no direct supervision;
- Perform small engine repair and maintenance;
- Follow directions and to plan and organize assigned work;
- Follow safety procedures necessary to work in and industrial environment, including but not limited to lock-out/tag-out and confied space entry;
- Use common sense and apply safe work habits when working in dangerous areas or with power equipment; and
- Perform heavy manual labor for extended periods, occasionally under unfavorable conditions.
Experience/Education: One year general work experience required. Two years experience in facility and/or grounds maintenance preferred. Experience in specialty areas (landscaping, building maintenance, etc) preferred.
Additional Requirements: A valid Driver's License is required. Must participate in LOTT's Health and Safety Program. Additionally, this position may require possession and maintenance of at least one of the following, as specified during the hiring process:
- Backflow Prevention Certification;
- HVAC (608 and 609) Certification; or
- Pool Operator Certification.