The purpose of this position within the organization is assist with oversight, implementation, planning and management of the operations of the Utilities Water & Sewer Department and its facilities. This position works under administrative supervision, developing and implementing programs within organizational policies and reports major activities to executive level administrators through oral and written communications as well as presentations and reports.
Minimum Training and Experience:
Requires a bachelor’s degree in engineering or related field. Requires ten years in engineering with some management experience or closely related experience.
Special Certifications and Licenses:
Professional Engineering License
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in making sound financial, technical and management decisions.
- Possess strong leadership, communications and team building skills.
- Skilled and adaptable to performing under stress when confronted with emergency situations and/or tight deadlines.
- Proven decision-making abilities, affecting a major segment of the organization and the public operating within in a dynamic environment.
- Ability to deal with people beyond giving and receiving instructions. Must be adaptable to performing under stress when confronted with emergency situations or tight deadlines.
- Ability to maintain positive customer-focused relationships with co-workers, supervisors, agencies, the public, and all other internal and external customers. Personally demonstrates appropriate customer service skills.
- Work is performed onsite. The incumbent must be present at work to perform the essential functions of this job.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assists with management activities and operations of the W/S Department, ensuring compliance with applicable laws, regulations, policies, procedures and standards of quality and safety.
- Oversees and implements the City's permit requirements, the Capital Improvement Program, and planning the operations of the crews.
- Meets with engineers, architects, developers, contractors, and customers/potential customers regarding new projects.
- Directs and supervises duties of assigned supervisor(s) and technical staff.
- Reviews work of subordinates for completeness and accuracy; evaluates and makes recommendations as appropriate.
- Aids in the daily operation and maintenance management of the water and wastewater treatment facilities including the City's raw water intakes, laboratories, sanitary sewer lift stations, and wholesale meters.
- Aids in the management of the water and sewer wholesale customer agreements.
- Aids in the management of employee issues as related to human resources.
- Mentors employees as needed on various topics and needs.
- Assists director in managing the department, addressing system and personnel issues, and preparing reports, presentations, and spreadsheets.
- Monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of process controls and procedures.
- Prepares cost estimates for capital improvement projects and for planning and construction budgets.
- Oversees safety programs and assists with action plans.
- Aids in the preparation of the W/S annual department budget in coordination with City Management and Finance and W/S division supervisors; manages process for payment of invoices and employee credit card statements.
- Assists with budget preparation for assigned divisions; procures supplies, equipment and materials as needed.
- Assists division supervisors in researching and assessing system issues, preparing and reviewing technical reports, and providing management and technical advice.
- Reviews plans and specifications from City and development projects for compliance with various codes; updates and revises City specifications and details as necessary; prepares contract documents for consultants and contractors.
- Aids in maintaining water and sewer system inventories.
- Aids in the development of water and sewer system extension policies, procedures, standards and specifications.
- Aids in the management and implementation of Industrial Pretreatment and Fats, Oil, and Grease (FOG) Programs.
- Aids in the preparation of the W/S fiscal year-end report.
- Aids in the preparation of the annual Sanitary Survey for the City’s Water System.
Annual Salary: $92,165 - $112,778 Per Year / DOQ