The City of San Bruno is recruiting for
Associate Civil Engineer / Assistant Civil Engineer
Annual Salary: $99,384 — $121,956 Associate Civil Engineer
$86,424 — $106,044 Assistant Civil Engineer
Filing Deadline: 5 pm on Friday, November 1, 2019
This is an exciting opportunity for a talented engineer to join the Public Works Department, Engineering Division as an Associate or Assistant Civil Engineer. You will be working amongst energetic, collaborative, and supportive colleagues who are solution and progress oriented.
Associate Civil Engineer
The Associate Civil Engineer performs complex engineering work and provides office and field engineering support for environmental, water, sewer, street, and other Public Works projects and programs, ensuring quality assurance and compliance with current codes and criteria. In an effort to renew San Bruno's aging infrastructure, the successful candidate will be participating in the development and implementation of an aggressive capital improvement program. Other duties may include interpreting codes, regulations, and requirements; coordinating the development of engineering plans; providing project management for municipal public works projects; reviewing construction bids; administering grant applications; responding to public inquiries; assisting in survey work; administering permits for utility, street use, and franchise; and providing engineering support for other City departments.
· Graduation from an accredited fouryear college or university with a degree in civil engineering or a closely related field
· Possession and maintenance of a valid registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of California, or possess Professional Engineer Registration in another state with the ability to obtain California registration within six (6) months
· A minimum of three (3) years of responsible civil engineering experience performing duties comparable to an Assistant Civil Engineer
· Municipal or related consultant experience highly desirable
Assistant Civil Engineer
The Assistant Civil Engineer works under direction to perform professional engineering work in the design and construction of public works projects. This position is expected to perform professional level engineering assignments with minimal supervision. This position includes engineering work in the preparation of plans and specifications of public works improvements, including streets, water and sewer; performs field surveys; supervises survey crews; supervises and assists in the preparation of maps, plans and layouts; designs, lays out and performs functional studies of the sewage collection and treatment system and storm drains; inspects structures under construction; inspects structural plans and specifications; makes estimates on time and materials; writes memoranda and prepares reports.
· Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in civil engineering
· A minimum of one (1) year of responsible civil engineering experience including fieldwork
· Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis
The ideal candidate for the position of Associate Civil Engineer will have extensive experience designing and implementing capital improvement projects for the City’s infrastructure system including sewer, storm water, streets system, as well as managing large-scale public works construction projects. The successful candidate will be a seasoned professional capable of completing high-quality staff work with minimal direction, and feel comfortable managing multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment. Success will depend on being an inquisitive, competent, adaptable and articulate team player.
The ideal candidate for the position of Assistant Civil Engineer will be a highly motivated self-starter with a demonstrated track record of successfully completing projects and knowledge of civil engineering principles. The successful candidate will be an effective communicator, both orally and written and possess the ability to analyze and evaluate alternatives and make recommendations. Success will depend on being an inquisitive, competent, adaptable and articulate team player.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The successful Associate Civil Engineer candidate will possess advanced knowledge of civil engineering principles, practices and methods as applicable to a municipal setting. In addition, the candidate will demonstrate knowledge of applicable City policies, laws, and regulations as it pertains to engineering, as well as applicable laws and regulatory codes relevant to assigned areas of responsibility. Knowledge of engineering mathematics, methods, materials, tools, materials and equipment used in engineering construction, as well as topographic and construction surveying is key.
The successful Assistant Civil Engineer will have the ability to do high-level mapping and drafting, prepare detailed plans and specifications, perform professional design work, inspect construction projects and supervise survey crews. Knowledge of principles and practices of civil engineering, engineering mathematics and design, construction and maintenance requirements of public works facilities is key.
· CalPERS retirement formula of 2.7% @ 55 for classic members or 2% @ 62 for new members
· Matching deferred compensation contribution of 0.5% of salary on bi-weekly basis
· Medical, dental and vision benefits provided with employee contribution
· Life insurance equal to one year’s annual salary provided at no cost
· Opportunity for bilingual incentive pay up to 2.5% of salary
· Long term disability insurance provided at no cost
· Section 125 Flexible Benefit Plan
· Home loan assistance program
· Credit union membership
· Tuition reimbursement
How to Apply
Applications may be submitted online at www.calopps.org. Applications must be received by 5:00 pm on Friday, November 1, 2019. After an initial screening of applications, those candidates that best meet the Department’s needs will be invited to participate further in the recruitment process.
Applications must be received by 5:00 pm on Friday, November 1, 2019
The City of San Bruno is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and as such does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, sex, gender, religion, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or national origin in its employment actions, decisions, policies and practices. If you require special accommodations, please contact us to discuss your needs.