If your goal is to build a career that makes a difference, consider joining the dedicated people of the Colorado Department of Human Services
(CDHS). Our professionals strive to design and deliver high quality human and health services that improve the safety, independence, and well-being of the people of Colorado.
In addition to rewarding and meaningful work, we offer excellent benefits
*Some positions may qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program. For more
information, go to https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service.
Our Culture & Environment
Our vision is that the people of Colorado will be safe, healthy, and prepared to achieve their greatest aspirations. Through our core values listed below, CDHS staff are committed to:
- Making decisions with, and acting in the best interests of the people we serve, because Colorado's success depends on their well-being
- Sharing information, seeking input, and explaining our actions because we value accountability and transparency
- Managing our resources efficiently because we value stewardship
- Promoting a positive work environment, and supporting and developing employees, because their performance is essential to Colorado's success
- Meaningfully engaging our partners and the people we serve because we must work together to achieve the best outcomes
- Committing to continuous learning because Coloradans deserve effective solutions today and forward-looking innovation for tomorrow
"Daily, our commitment is to be "people who help people"
This unit exists to maintain facilities and support systems, assure that the facilities and support systems are maintained according to all applicable regulatory standards, provides a safe sanitary environment for clients and staff. Meet the facilities needs of the Department of Human Services Southern Region customers. Manage available resources to provide a physical environment at the highest quality possible.
Facilities served are: CMHIP, Three DOC facilities (SCCF, La Vista, and YOS), PRC, Three DYC facilities (Zeb Pike, Spring Creek, and Pueblo Youth Services Center) and the four nursing homes in the southern district. Total facilities are approximately 2 million sq. ft. at multiple sites in 110 buildings.
Description of Job
This position exists to provide operations and maintenance functions for the facilities' physical plant equipment located within the Heat plant structure, by performing essential operational functions, maintenance, cleanliness, preservation, scheduled and emergency repairs (electrical and mechanical) to insure effective, operational practices ensuring equipment longevity.
This job description outlines the principle duties and in no way states or implies these are the only duties to be performed in this position.
- Operation and maintenance of high pressure steam boilers both coal and natural gas / diesel, DCS, PLC's the qualitive and quantitive analysis of all process fluids entering and leaving the steam plant, by utilizing accepted methods of titration, comparative and qualitive analysis to obtain the desired results.
- Operate and maintain all environmental emission control systems to insure environmental compliance at all times, which includes proper operation of coal handling, ash removal systems, proper handling and clean-up of aforementioned equipment / systems to comply with Title V requirements.
- Accomplishes assigned scheduled preventative equipment maintenance by following the guidelines established by the manufactures guidelines, Follows equipment schedules and equipment status.
- Maintains plant cleanliness.
- Ensure proper operation of plant machinery including valves, pumps, fans, turbines, electric motors, coal and ash handling system components, piping distribution system components and digital control system components.
- Trouble shoot and repair to restore proper operation of plant machinery including piping systems, valves, pumps, fans, turbines, electric motors, coal and ash handling system components and digital control system component.
- Monitor Apogee facility automation system for alarms that need to be addressed during 2nd and 3rd shifts.
- Notify night truck mechanic or trade shop supervisor as appropriate of situations that need immediate attention.
- Answer phones from building tenants during 2nd and 3rd shifts and determines which requests needs to be addressed immediately.
- Notifies night truck mechanic on 2nd shift or trade shop supervisors on 3rd shift.
- When required operates, tests, and maintains diesel powered emergency electric generator in accordance with manufacturers specifications and Joints Commissions standards.
- Maintains grounds area, surrounding buildings, and operates state vehicles.
- Based on heat plant labor requirements, this position performs general work order maintenance when staffing demand at the heat plant doesn't require two or more operators.
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications, Substitutions, Conditions of Employment & Appeal Rights
Three (3) years of experience in an occupational field related to the work assigned to the position
Necessary Special Requirements:
4 years minimum experience with steam plant operation and maintenance or and possess a valid stationary engineer license "A" or equivalent or currently participating in a Facility Approved training program specific to steam high or low pressure boiler operation and maintenance and within 12 months of licensure.
Appropriate education or successful completion of a formalized apprenticeship program will substitute for the required experience on a year-for-year basis
Conditions of Employment:
- Pre-employment Physical - post offer screening to include dynamic strength testing, eye exam and physical - All job offers are contingent on a successful physical exam which also includes a lift and range of motion test provided by a designated health care professional, certifying candidate's ability to perform the essential functions of the position. Applicant must consent to hold harmless CDHS and its agents and staff from any liability arising in whole or in part from this process and the use of this information in connection with CDHS's consideration of application for employmen
- A pre-employment criminal background check will be conducted as part of the selection process as this position is deemed to have direct contact with vulnerable persons. Felony convictions, conviction of crimes of moral turpitude, or convictions of misdemeanors related to job duties may disqualify you from being considered for this position. Should your background check reveal any charges or convictions, it is your responsibility to provide the CDHS Background Unit with an official disposition of any charges. Additionally, you will be required take and pass a drug screen.
- Required to report without delay or interruption to provide essential or emergency
services to ensure health, safety, and welfare. Because we support 24/7 365 day client and patient care areas
- Colorado drivers license
- Travel 25% to all DFM sites for database and inventory updates as needed + all 3 District DFM offices for any required software and end-user issues
- Be willing to receive an annual influenza vaccination or provide documentation for a medical or religious exemption
- Exposure to hazardous materials Fuels, Fuel by-products, lubricating oil and greases, chemicals used to both test and treat all waters associated with the plant.
- Special Qualifications - 4 years minimum experience with steam plant operation and maintenance or and possess a valid stationary engineer license "A" or quivalent or currently participating in a Facility Approved training program specific to steam high or low pressure boiler operation and maintenance and within 12 months of licensure.
- Former employees of the Colorado Department of Human Services (CDHS) who were disciplinary terminated or resigned in lieu of termination must disclose the information on your application and may not be eligible for employment at CDHS.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Previous high-pressure coal fired steam boilers operations and maintenance experience.
If you receive notice that you have been eliminated from consideration for the position, you may protest the action by filing an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the date you receive notice of the elimination.
Also, if you wish to challenge the selection and comparative analysis process, you may file an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the receipt of notice or knowledge of the action you are challenging.
Refer to Chapters 4 and 8 of the State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director's Administrative Procedures, 4 CCR 801, for more information about the appeals process. The State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director's Administrative Procedures are available at www.colorado.gov/spb
A standard appeal form is available at: www.colorado.gov/spb
. If you appeal, your appeal must be submitted in writing on the official appeal form, signed by you or your representative, and received at the following address within 10 days of your receipt of notice or knowledge of the action: Colorado State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director, Attn: Appeals Processing, 1525 Sherman Street, 4th Floor, Denver, CO 80203. Fax: 303-866-5038. Phone: 303-866-3300. The ten-day deadline and these appeal procedures also apply to all charges of discrimination.
Comparative Analysis Process
The comparative analysis process for this position may consist of a structured application review, and a structured interview depending on the number of qualified applicants.
For Recruiting questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Toll Free Applicant Technical Support: If you experience technical difficulty with the NEOGOV system (e.g. uploading or attaching documents to your online application) call NEOGOV technical support at 855-524-5627 Mon-Fri between 6 am and 6 pm (Pacific Time). Helpful hints: if you are having difficulty uploading or attaching documents to your application first, ensure your documents are PDF or Microsoft Word files, and second, close the document before you attempt upload (attach) it.
Please note that ONLY your State of Colorado job application will be reviewed during the initial screening; if you submit a resume and cover letter, they will be reviewed in later stages of the selection process. Therefore, it is paramount that you clearly describe all of your relevant experience on the application itself. Applications left blank or marked "SEE RESUME" will not be considered.
Your application will be reviewed against the minimum qualifications for the position. If your application demonstrates that you meet the minimum qualifications, you will be invited to the comparative analysis process, which is described below.
Note: Current and former employees (transfers, voluntary demotions and reinstatements) are required to apply and participate in the comparative analysis process.
Former employees of the Colorado Department of Human Services (CDHS) who were disciplinary terminated or resigned in lieu of termination must disclose the information on your application and may not be eligible for employment at CDHS.
The State of Colorado believes that equity, diversity, and inclusion drive our success, and we encourage candidates from all identities, backgrounds, and abilities to apply. The State of Colorado is an equal opportunity employer committed to building inclusive, innovative work environments with employees who reflect our communities and enthusiastically serve them. Therefore, in all aspects of the employment process, we provide employment Guidelines for EDI Compliance for Job Announcements in CO-Jobs Prepared by: Department of Personnel & Administration Division of Human Resources, Consulting Services Page 1 of 3 January 29, 2020 opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, medical condition related to pregnancy, creed, ancestry, national origin, marital status, genetic information, or military status (with preference given to military veterans), or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.
Salary: $4,277.00 Monthly
CDHS is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this
commitment, our agency will assist individuals who have a disability with any reasonable
accommodation requests related to employment, including completing the application
process, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, participating in the
employee selection process, and/or to perform essential job functions where the requested
accommodation does not impose an undue hardship. If you have a disability and require
reasonable accommodation to ensure you have a positive experience applying or interviewing
for this position, please direct your inquiries to our ADAAA Coordinator, Nancy Schmelzer, at email@example.com or call 1-800-929-0791.