This position will perform skilled labor for various capitol construction projects, and repairs to both water and sewer utilities. This position will also be responsible for assisting with the removal of snow during periods of inclement weather.
- Fall Shift: September 1st - March 31st Monday - Friday 7:30 am - 5:00 pm
- Spring Shift: April 1st - August 31st Monday - Friday 6:30 am - 5:00 pm
The Town of Blacksburg is an EEO Employer M/F/D/V
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- General labor using hand tools and small equipment
- Performing tasks related to water and sewer main construction
- Installing, repairing, and replacing water meters, fire hydrants, and valves
- Constructing large and small diameter taps on live water lines
- Dump truck operation
Education and Experience
A high school diploma or GED is required, as well as a minimum of 2 years’ previous experience in tasks relating to water and sewer installation, repair, and maintenance.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- The ability to install and make repairs on water and sewer systems
- Thorough knowledge of VDOT work zone requirements and the ability to safely work in and around the roadway
- Skill in the use of various hand tools and construction equipment
- Ability to complete basic assigned tasks
- Operates a dump truck with snow plow during snow removal operations
- Basic pipe fitting skills (preferred)
A valid Virginia Commercial Driver’s License – Class B and an excellent driving record are required.
VDOT Basic Work Zone Traffic Control and Flagger Certification
Trench Safety and Confined Space training
Qualified applicants must possess each of the following: the ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. regularly, the ability to work in a crouched position for extended periods of time, the ability to work outside in varying weather conditions, and the ability to effectively communicate with the public and other employees. This work requires the regular exertion of up to 50 pounds of force, frequent exertion of up to 100 pounds of force and occasional exertion of over 100 pounds of force; work regularly requires standing, walking, speaking or hearing, using hands to finger, handle or feel, reaching with hands and arms, pushing or pulling, lifting and repetitive motions, frequently requires stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling and occasionally requires sitting, climbing or balancing and tasting or smelling; work has standard vision requirements; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; work requires visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, using of measuring devices, operating machines, operating motor vehicles or equipment and observing general surroundings and activities; work regularly requires exposure to wet humid conditions (non-weather) and exposure to outdoor weather conditions, frequently requires working near moving mechanical parts and exposure to vibration and occasionally requires working in high, precarious places, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals, exposure to extreme cold (non-weather), exposure to extreme heat (non-weather), exposure to the risk of electrical shock, wearing a self-contained breathing apparatus and exposure to bloodborne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment; work is generally in a loud noise location (e.g. grounds maintenance, heavy traffic).