Maintain, repair and install the City water and wastewater system.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
This information is intended to be descriptive of the key responsibilities of the position. The following examples do not identify all duties performed by any single incumbent.
1) Assist with the maintenance, repair and installation of the City water and wastewater systems to include:
• Working with a repair crew(s) to repair broken water and wastewater mains and service lines.
• Assisting in the installation and/or repair of large water meters, valves and fire hydrants.
• Using City utility maps to locate and mark City water/wastewater lines on site.
2) Safety: Functioning in a team environment or independent, following all safety rules and regulations.
3) Maintain and perform minor repairs of the Water Distribution Division vehicles, equipment, tools and building.
4) Performs other duties as may be assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Must have the ability to think and act “safety” in a challenging environment.
• Ability to work independent and in a team environment.
• Ability to maintain regular and predictable attendance.
• Ability to work an irregular schedule, including weekends, evenings and holidays.
Machines, Tools, Equipment and Work Aids:
• Service trucks, backhoe, trenchers, dump truck, trailer, air compressor, water pumps, hand tools, pipes, shovels, rakes, picks, maps, flashlight, gas detector, jack hammer, shoring, saws, chain cutter, water tapping machine, sewer tapping machine, compressor and other similar equipment and tools as needed.
• Hard hat, gloves, safety glasses, steel toe boots, rubber boots, safety vest, safety cones, ear protection, respirator.
Education, Certifications and Experience Required:
• High school diploma or equivalent and a minimum of one year of similar or related work experience is required.
• Possession of a valid Texas Class C Driver’s License is required.
• Possession of or ability to obtain within one year of employment, a valid Texas Class A Commercial Driver’s License.
• Possession of or ability to obtain within one year of employment, a Grade D Water certification issued by TCEQ.
• Possession of or ability to obtain within one year of employment, a Class I Wastewater Collection certification issued by TCEQ.
• Possession of or ability to obtain within three years of employment, a Grade C Water Distribution certification issued by TCEQ.
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
Duties are generally performed citywide in both outdoor and indoor settings. This is medium to heavy work requiring the exertion of fifty (50) pounds of force occasionally, up to twenty (20) pounds of force frequently, and up to ten (10) pounds of force constantly to move, lift and push objects. Work requires climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, standing, walking, pushing and pulling. This position is subject to outside environmental conditions, including extreme cold, extreme heat, hazards, and other atmospheric conditions.
• Subject to 24-hour on-call as required, serve on a rotation duty schedule for weekend duty and night call-outs, and required to respond to emergency call-outs.
• Must be able to work in adverse weather, conditions and environments, performing physically challenging skills.
Distribution/Collection Operator 203-C01 & C02
701 Main Street
Kerrville, TX 78028
The City of Kerrville is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Qualified Individuals. A City of Kerrville application is required. Resumes are considered additional information, and accepted with a completed City application. Applications may be downloaded from the City of Kerrville website www.kerrvilletx.gov, Employment Opportunities, or obtained at Kerrville City Hall.