Senior Civil Engineer
San Rafael Sanitation District
$119,760 - $145,560 per year (DOE/DOQ) Plus, excellent benefits
OPEN UNTIL FILLED: Apply by Monday, March 16, 2020 for first consideration
THE POSITION: The San Rafael Sanitation District is seeking a full-time Senior Civil Engineer. The incumbent in this position, plans, organizes, directs and oversees the Engineering services of the San Rafael Sanitation District and will provide administrative, professional and technical assistance to the District Manager and acts on behalf of the District Manager as assigned.
Our mission is to responsibly collect and transport wastewater from our customers to Central Marin Sanitation Agency for treatment, utilizing cost effective, environmentally sound, and safe practices. Our employees maintain 32 pump stations, 13 miles of force main, and 132 miles of sewer pipelines.
This position performs the following essential job duties (This list is meant to be representative, not exhaustive. Duties performed would include San Rafael Sanitation District CIP projects. Some incumbents may not perform all the duties listed while in other cases, related duties may be assigned):
• Plans, supervises and performs professional engineering work in the design and construction of public capital projects, specializing in sanitary sewers, force mains, pump stations and related facilities.
• Supervises the preparation of plans, project specifications, inspections, legal descriptions, surveys and other engineering work performed by staff members and consultants.
• Supervises and participates in the review of plans and the inspection of construction in progress for adherence to codes, acceptable engineering standards and related Sanitation District standards and policies.
• Supervises, trains, and evaluates assigned staff.
• Meets with public and private engineers, architects, contractors and owners to explain and discuss projects.
• Responds to inquiries or complaints from the public and provides technical information to outside agency staff, Board of Directors, and the public.
• Prepares comprehensive technical and staff reports in verbal and written form to the District Manager, and Sanitation District Board of Directors.
• Coordinates engineering activities and capital projects with other agencies.
• Reviews, approves and signs engineering drawings, plans and specifications and other documents as the responsible Professional Engineer.
• Ensures compliance with Public Contracts Code, Federal and State laws, local ordinances and regulations.
• Manages and develops the District’s mapping and Geographic Information System.
• Manages and develops the Districts Sanitary Sewer Management Plan. Coordinates programs and strategies with Central Marin Sanitation Agency and other agencies.
• Supervises and manages the application of grants for District projects from Federal, State, and local funding sources.
• Prepares the bi-annual District Budget for review by the District Manager.
• Reviews and approves all District payments to consultants, contractors, and vendors.
• Calculates sewer connection fees.
• Provides administrative support to the District Manager.
• Administers District programs such as annexations, sewer main extensions, and “buy back agreements”
• Performs related duties as required.
To be eligible for this position, you must have knowledge of:
• Principles and practices of civil engineering, sanitary engineering and administration.
• Design, construction and operation of sanitary and public works facilities.
• Methods of preparing designs, plans, specifications, estimates, reports and recommendations.
• Sewer, pump stations, streets, storm drains, buildings, parks and other public works projects.
• Laws and codes related to civil engineering, environmental health and sanitary engineering.
• Principles of organization, administration, budget and supervision.
• Personal computers and related engineering software.
To be eligible for this position, you must have the ability to:
• Supervise engineering professionals and paraprofessionals.
• Perform design engineering.
• Prepare plans, drawings, specifications, diagrams, and make sketches.
• Deal with contractors, engineers, and their representatives.
• Use a PC and related engineering software.
• Make complex engineering calculations and prepare plans and specifications.
• Supervise the preparation of engineering records and prepare technical reports.
• Evaluate and resolve engineering problems.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
• Communicate effectively.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: (Any combination of education and experience that demonstrates possession of the requisite knowledge, skill and abilities). A typical way to obtain these would be:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering.
• Six (6) years of increasingly responsible public works construction and maintenance experience.
• Registration as a Civil Engineer in the State of California
• Valid driver’s license.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in evenings or on weekends and indoor conditions and regularly works near video display. The employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions and uses personal vehicle. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS: City of San Rafael application is required. Resumes do not substitute for the City application. Candidates should detail related education and experience on the application. The examination process may include the following application appraisal and oral board interview examination. The passing point for the oral board examination final score will be 70%. Note: Prior to appointment, candidate must pass a pre-employment physical, background check, driving record, drug screen, and fingerprinting. To file an application, go to: www.calopps.org. Select “Member Agencies”. Select “San Rafael”. Follow this link to submit your application: https://www.calopps.org/san-rafael/job-19973757 For more information about the City of San Rafael, please visit www.cityofsanrafael.org.
Reasonable Accommodation: The City of San Rafael will make reasonable accommodations in the exam process to accommodate disabled applicants. If you have a disability for which you require an accommodation, please contact us at (415) 485-3474 before the test date. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. Such accommodations must be requested by the applicant.