Plant Operations Specialist (PO I)
Water Management, Williams Water Treatment Plant
Grade B21; Hiring Range: $40,650.00 – $43,960.00
1st Shift: 7 A.M. – 3 P.M., Monday - Friday
Water Management seeks a water plant operator who will be primarily located at the Williams Water Treatment Plant but will also be expected to back up operation & maintenance duties at the Brown Water Treatment plant off of Infinity Road in North Durham when needed.
This job is subject to recall for weather-related emergencies.
Operators are responsible for plant operations surrounding the treatment of water for the citizens of Durham. This includes operating, adjusting, and maintaining equipment, keeping detailed and accurate records, obeying plant procedures, monitoring operations, cleaning equipment, analyzing samples while practicing safety precautions at all times. You will also be responsible for elevated and ground storage tanks, and 2 pressure zones including the associated pump and storage facilities. This is a trainee position. Once certification is obtained, you will receive a promotion. Certification must be obtained within one year after employment has started.
- HS Diploma or GED
- Minimum 6 months of related experience including internships and/or vocational education in water/wastewater treatment
- North Carolina Class "C" Driver's License
- Basic math & chemistry calculations to accurately read meters & charts, maintain required records, & interpret readings to make necessary adjustments to treatment processes
- Make mixed arithmetic calculations involving multiplication, addition, subtraction, & division of whole numbers, decimals, & fractions
Continuing Employment Requirements:
- Must obtain NC Grade C Surface Water Treatment Certification within 1 year of hire
- OSHA: Confined Space, Lock Out/Tag Out, Blood-borne Pathogens, and more
Enjoy our benefits which include 401(k), 457, retirement, retirement health savings plan, flex spending accounts, life insurance, vision, dental, short/long term disability options, & generous annual/holiday leave. Apply online at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/durhamnc
EOE - Individuals selected for an offer of employment must pass the City of Durham physical examination, drug/alcohol screen, and background/DMV investigation. You must have the legal right to work in the U.S. This agency will not sponsor any applicant to obtain documentation of that right to work.