The Wastewater Collection Systems Operator I performs semi-skilled work in the installation, maintenance and repair of underground sewer collection systems, storm water collection systems, and related facilities. This classification requires the possession of journey-level skills in and understanding of the storm water and sewer collection systems of the City.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Install, clean, maintain, repair and replace underground sewer collection systems, storm water collection systems, and related facilities, including storm drains, sewer systems, sumps, manholes and lift stations.
- Measure cuts, join and tap steel, cast iron and asbestos cement, sewer pipes.
- Locate and repair leaks in the sanitary sewer system.
- Systematically clean and maintain sewer collection system as established under the City’s Sanitary Sewer Maintenance Program (SSMP).
- Respond to emergency and non-emergency callbacks to control, clean up and disinfect any Sanitary Sewer Overflows (SSOs) as required.
- Repair and maintain storm drains, mains, catch basins, manholes and related structures.
- Operate a variety of hand tools, power tools and equipment related to the trade, including compressors, concrete saws and pavement breakers.
- May operate various motor vehicles and construction equipment, such as a backhoe, in the course of daily duties, perform routine maintenance, and make safety checks.
- Respond to customer complaints.
- Determine source of problem, advise customer if problem is not the City’s responsibility.
- Pump flooded areas.
- Replace and repair concrete and asphalt after repairs are completed.
- May perform welding as required on a “per project” basis.
- Carry out assignments in a non-disruptive manner in areas receiving heavy public use.
- Read and interpret plans, specifications, blueprints and schematics.
- Keep a basic record of work performed.
- Performs a variety of other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
High School Diploma or an equivalent certificate or diploma recognized by the State of California. Maintain a valid Class C California Driver License with a driving record acceptable to the City. Must be able to respond to emergency situations during off-hours. Bilingual fluency in English and Spanish is desirable. Failure to acquire or maintain required certificates within the time provided will lead to termination of employment at the end of the appropriate period below. Three (3) years of responsible experience in utilities installation and maintenance work. Possess journey-level training in at least one of the construction trades. Possess a Class B California Driver License with appropriate endorsements, or acquire such a license within six (6) months of employment or assignment to the classification. Possess or be able to obtain a Grade I Collection System Maintenance Certificate, or other qualification as required by the State of California, within one (1) year of employment or assignment to the classification.
To be considered for this position, please submit a completed employment application, an Official D.M.V. Printout, and any required certification:
Human Resources Director
City of Delano
1005 Eleventh Avenue
P.O. Box 3010
Delano, CA 93216
Phone: (661) 721-3305
Filing Deadline: August 30, 2019 at 4:30 pm. A resume in-lieu of a completed employment application, facsimile, and/or postmark will not be accepted.