JOB TITLE: Engineering Division Manager
AGENCY: City of Modesto
LOCATION: Modesto, CA
FILING DEADLINE: December 9, 2022
SALARY RANGE: $138,266.40 - $168,069.36
The position receives administrative direction from the Director of Utilities and exercises direct and/or indirect supervision over assigned management, supervisory, professional, technical, and administrative support staff.
- Plan, organize, and direct Engineering Division activities, including the administration, planning, design, and construction management of City's infrastructure, primarily water, wastewater, and drainage systems.
- Develop and implement division goals, objectives, policies, and procedures.
- Direct, oversee, and participate in the development of the Engineering
- Division work plan; assign work activities, projects, and programs; monitor workflow; review and evaluate work products, methods, and procedures.
- Prepare the Engineering Division budget; assist in budget implementation; participate in the forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; administer the approved budget.
- Recommend the appointment of personnel; provide or coordinate staff training; conduct performance evaluations; implement discipline procedures as required; maintain discipline and high standards necessary for the efficient and professional operation of the Department.
- Establish long-range plans and goals, including strategic planning for the assigned utility enterprise funds, rate setting, and issues dealing with environmental regulations.
- Exercise responsible charge of assigned engineering functions
- Supervise and participate in the design of capital improvement projects such as storm drains, water and wastewater facilities, and other assigned public infrastructure.
- Manage and/or participate in the preparation of complex engineering studies and reports related to public works, utilities, and capital improvement projects; oversee coordination of activities with other City departments, divisions, outside agencies, citizens, consultants, and developers.
- Prepare construction plans, contract documents, and cost estimates ensuring conformity with federal, state, and local requirements.
- May be assigned to manage and/or provide technical support to utility rate setting efforts.
- Represent the division and department to outside agencies and organizations; participate in outside community and professional groups and committees; provide technical assistance as necessary.
- Research, prepare, and present technical and administrative reports; prepare written correspondence.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees, and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Observe and maintain a safe working environment in compliance with established safety programs and procedures.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate has demonstrable direct, broad-based experience in overseeing engineering responsibilities for a utilities department. The ideal candidate will have experience in creating and implementing master plans for a department or agency's Water, Wastewater, and Storm Drain projects. As a division manager, the perspective candidate will contribute to the creation of the department budget, oversee financial studies, set rates, bid on projects, manage construction, negotiate contracts and change orders, and possess the ability to manage, and/or create well-formed studies and reports. The Engineering Division Manager will serve as a technical expert in civil design and construction and will also possess strong communication, leadership, and management abilities as they will oversee a team consisting of: 4 Senior Civil Engineers, 2 Administrative Analysts, 1 Administrative Services Technician, and 1 Administrative Office Assistant III.
In the heart of California’s great Central Valley lies the City of Modesto, an attractive, charming, and vibrant community exceeding 200,000. The city of “Water, Wealth, Contentment, Health” has long been known for its attractive amenities and convenient location in Northern California. Modesto is blessed with mild weather year-round and some of the world’s most fertile soil. As the seat of Stanislaus County government, Modesto has a rich agricultural history and has worked hard to diversify its economy. The quality of life in Modesto is one of its most attractive features. Many urbanites have relocated to this welcoming community, attracted by its small-town atmosphere with big city amenities, reasonable housing prices, reputable school districts, and protected open spaces. Modesto is frequently cited as an ideal community in which to live and raise a family.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
Please submit a complete online application here with the following required items: Resume; Cover Letter; and a list of three (3) professional references. Applications that do not include all required items are incomplete and will not be considered.
For any questions regarding the recruitment, please feel free to reach out to either: Senior Recruiter, Chelsea Freeman, at email@example.com or Senior Recruiter, Edna Swaim, at firstname.lastname@example.org
The City of Modesto is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity.