Performs difficult professional and administrative work in support of the Authority's engineering program; Work is performed under general supervision of Director of Engineering.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/TYPICAL TASKS:
Performs responsible professional engineering, technical, and administrative work related to the planning, design, construction and inspection of water and wastewater facilities. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or logical.
- Reviews proposals, engineering reports, plans and specifications, and payment requests of consultants/contractors.
- Performs technical review of development plans, construction drawings, easement plats, and record drawings for compliance with applicable codes/ordinances.
- Prepares plans for small water and sanitary sewer projects constructed by the Authority’s personnel.
- Reviews and comments on hydraulic analyses of development projects.
- Supports administration of design and construction projects, ensuring that work is performed in accordance with approved design criteria, specifications, plans and drawings.
- Participates in the preparation of task orders and scopes of work for study and design projects.
- Prepares contract plans, specifications and bid documents.
- Conducts progress meetings with contractors.
- Provides technical assistance and assist with location of water/sewer mains within the County to staff, citizens, property owners, land developers, design professionals and the general public.
- Prepares and completes various forms, permits reports, fact sheet and tracking documents.
- Oversees the development, updating and maintenance of hydraulic models of the Authority’s Water and Sewer Systems.
- Assists with inspection services, development and maintenance of design standards, development and implementation of the Authority GIS and CAD work and developing long range utility improvements.
- Confers with regulatory officials as necessary. (Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT), Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ), Virginia Department of Health (VDH) and Fauquier County Community Development)
- Maintains data related to future water and sewer demand and develops projections and reports.
- Administers an efficient system of engineering record keeping.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Ability to follow detailed work procedures; knowledge of the theories, principles, concepts and practices of engineering as applied to the design and construction criteria of the Authority, Federal, State, and local laws, regulations, and standards; ability to manage design and construction projects from inception to completion; read and understand engineering and architectural plans, maps and records; review and comment on engineering and land use studies, proposals and plans; assemble and analyze data and prepare technical reports; plan and organize work to meet deadlines; follow established codes, policies, and guidelines; perform work in accordance with safety regulations, guidelines, and practices; operate computer equipment and software applications related to assignment; utilize AutoCAD for construction drawings and GIS mapping; communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with the public, customers, co-workers and supervisors.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or related field; at least five years of related professional level engineering experience in water and sewer.
This is sedentary work requiring the exertion of up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects; work requires reaching, fingering, and repetitive motions; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of spoken word; hearing is required to receive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operation of machines, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is not subject to adverse environmental conditions.
Possession of a valid driver's license and good driving record. Must pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol screening.
Salary: $90,984.00 - $90,984.00 (Yearly Salary)