Located 45 miles south of Norfolk, Virginia in the far northeast of the inner banks of North Carolina, the city of Elizabeth City is a charming community having a population of 20,000 residents.
The City of Elizabeth City is currently seeking an Assistant Public Utilities who strives to provide the highest level of service to the community being a leader of innovative, high quality and professional public works services. The successful applicant directs multiple divisions (Potable Water, Wastewater, and GIS) within the Public Unities Department. The ideal applicant will be ensuring performance of the division at or above Federal and State Regulatory requirements and City Standards. The Applicant will develop and Implement a sound maintenance program, including preventative/predictive/reactive maintenance and inventory control. The successful applicant will be developing and implementing several programs, i.e. short and long range plans for the division, Capital Improvement Programs, Asset Management, and Rehabilitation program for division infrastructure. The ideal applicant will provide design requirements/recommendations to consultants, engineers and architects. The candidate will demonstrate an innovative spirit and a forward-thinking philosophy with the vision and ability to work in a diverse and engaged community. The successful candidate will supervise the work of a large staff, and maintain effective working relationships with City officials, other public officials, associates, contractors and the general public.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/TYPICAL TASKS:
- Coordinating and supervising the field operations within the Public Works Department; assisting the Director of Public Works with the creation and maintenance of systems, records and files; serving as Director in their absence.
- Assists with planning and implementing services in street maintenance and repair, sewer line maintenance and repair, equipment maintenance, signs, water system repairs and maintenance, and related public works operations;
- Plans and monitors activities to meet the goals and objectives of the department;
- Coordinates public works activities with other departments;
- Evaluates the performance of public works staff;
- Prepares and presents estimates and bids;
- Organizes work to be done and plans work schedules, and delegates assignments;
- Inspects jobs assigned for completeness and accuracy;
- Assists Director in all phases of long term strategic planning;
- Coordinates the repair and preventive maintenance on equipment;
- Assists with the development and management of the departmental operating and capital budgets;
- Signs most department requisitions;
- Supervises division superintendents;
- Performs other related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITES:
Thorough knowledge of public works administration and operations; thorough knowledge of modern construction, repair and maintenance methods; thorough knowledge of the use of construction and maintenance machinery; ability to plan, organize and supervise the work of department employees; courtesy and tact in dealing with the general public; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, subordinates and the general public; skill in the operation of a variety of construction equipment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in civil engineering or a related field and considerable experience in the public works field.
Possession of an appropriate driver's license valid in the State of North Carolina. Possession of Drinking Water and/or Wastewater certifications preferred. Registration as an Engineering Intern by the State of North Carolina required. Professional Engineer preferred.
For more information on completing your application materials please visit our employment page of our City website at www.cityofec.com.
If you are ready to join the exciting Team Elizabeth City and you meet the requirements detailed above, please submit your application via standard mail to the address listed below. For more information contact the Department of Human Resources at 252-338-3981.
Department of Human Resources
302 E Colonial Avenue Elizabeth City, NC 27909
Applications will be accepted until filled. The City of Elizabeth City reserves the right to accelerate or extend the "Closing Date" of open positions at any time, dependent upon the number of applications received.