Posting Title: Austin Water Electrician I & II (Multiple Levels)
Job Requisition Number: COA088946
Position Number: 118430
Job Type: Full-Time
Division Name: Electrical Services
Austin Water Electrician I
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent, plus four (4) years of experience in commercial/industrial electrical installations.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- Must be able to obtain a State of Texas Electrical Journeyman License within six (6) months from date of employment.
- Valid Texas Class C Driver License.
Austin Water Electrician II
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent, plus five (5) years of experience in commercial electrical installations and troubleshooting, including two (2) years of utility/industrial experience.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- Must possess a valid State of Texas Electrical Journeyman License.
- A valid Texas Class C Driver License.
This position will perform apprentice-level electrical diagnostics on motors and motor controls, substation switchgear and electrical distribution systems, and lighting systems within Austin Water process facilities.
Working with Austin Water provides a number of health and welfare benefits, such as medical, paid leave time, a great retirement plan, training opportunities and more – click HERE for more information.
Additionally, this position offers a career progression plan, which provides a unique opportunity to promote without having to go through the competitive process. As employees go through on-the-job training to develop new skills and abilities and obtain the appropriate license, they are eligible to submit for Career Progression, which allows them to demonstrate knowledge and skills without having to interview for the promotion.
Retention Incentive Bonus:
This position may be eligible for an Incentive Bonus of up to $3,000!
- $500 after 90 days.
- $500 after 180 days.
- $1,000 after 1 year.
- $1,000 after 2 years.
This position will be filled at one of the following levels:
AWU Electrician I:
Salary Range: $32.70 per hour
AWU Electrician II:
Salary Range: $32.70 – $39.56 per hour
The incumbent in this position may be asked to report to one or more of the following locations:
Hornsby Bend Biosolids Plant
2210 S. FM 973, Austin, TX 78725
South Austin Regional Wastewater Treatment Plant
1017 Fallwell Lane, Austin TX, 78717
Walnut Creek Wastewater Treatment Plant
7113 FM 969, Austin, TX 78724
Davis Water Treatment Plant
3500 W. 35th Street, Austin, Texas 78703
Water Treatment Plant 4
6800 North F. M. 620, Austin, Texas 78732
Ullrich Water Treatment Plant
1000 Forest View Dr., Austin, Texas 78746
Pump Stations & Reservoirs – South Service Support Center
3616 S. First St., Austin, Texas 78704
Work location and shift assignment for candidates selected will be determined based on business need and is subject to change at management’s discretion.
This position will require you to work scheduled and unscheduled overtime, outside of normal operating hours. It will also require you to participate in an on-call shift rotation program and respond to after-hours emergencies. Both the overtime and on-call shifts may require you to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
When completing the City of Austin employment application:
- This position requires experience in commercial/industrial electrical installations, not residential. Please include all of your relevant work experience that meets this requirement and indicate for each job whether the work you performed was industrial, commercial, or residential.
- Please be sure to detail on the application all previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- A detailed, complete employment application is required. It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Be sure to provide job titles and employment dates for all jobs you wish to be considered. Your work history should include the duties you performed, the voltage that you worked with, and any related equipment and computer software used.
If you are selected to interview:
- Your skill level in some of the competency areas of this job will be assessed through a skills testing appointment. Appointments are offered virtually using Microsoft Teams or in person at an Austin Water facility.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED, undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution.
- And are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
- This position requires a Valid Texas Class “C” Driver License or the ability to acquire one by your hire date. External New Hires must meet the City of Austin’s Driver Record Evaluation (DRE) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months.
- This position will require that you be able to perform the following essential job functions with confidence and with or without reasonable accommodations: carrying or lifting up to 50 lbs., pushing or pulling up to 50 lbs., sitting, standing, walking, lying, climbing stairs and ladders, reaching overhead, kneeling, crawling, stooping/bending, twisting, repetitive foot and hand movement, driving, grasping and squeezing, exposure to extreme weather conditions, atmospheric conditions, hazardous conditions, and very loud noise.
- Candidates must be able to work in environments which may have hazardous atmospheres or in confined spaces where there is limited or restricted means for entry and exit, or where the activities of an employee are hindered.
- Candidates must be able to perform duties with confidence at sites where climbing heights of up to 200 feet is required on ladders that support up to 300 lbs.
- Selected candidate will be required to complete and pass a pre-employment physical exam to be considered for this position, which includes a Functional (FC) strength/agility test.
- All Austin Water employees are prohibited from accepting or engaging in any secondary employment that might conflict or interfere with an employee’s duty and responsibility to the Department.
- AW must review all secondary employment.
- Employees are required to submit a Secondary Employment Application for review and approval upon being hired with Austin Water, as well as current Austin Water employees considering Secondary Employment.
All Austin Water worksite locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any AW worksite – including construction sites, parking lots, garages or in any personal vehicle located on the premises.
Pay Range: See Notes to Applicants
Hours: Monday through Friday, 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Job Close Date: 05/16/2023
Type of Posting: External
Department: Austin Water Utility
Grant Funded or Pooled Position: Not Applicable
Location: 3616 South First Street, Austin, TX 78704
- Current State of Texas Journeyman Electrician License.
- Knowledge, training, and experience performing installations, maintenance, and diagnostics on 600v-5kv motors and motor controls, switchgear and 15kv electrical distribution systems.
- Experience working with solid state devices used in the operations of substation distribution equipment and process/motor control systems.
- Experience working in a water utility or similar industrial environment.
- Experience working on energized electrical power systems.
- Basic computer skills.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities: This position is posted at multiple levels. For Duties, Functions and Responsibilities, please select the appropriate job description below. Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: This position is posted at multiple levels. For Knowledge, Skills and Abilities, please select the appropriate job description below. Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Criminal Background Investigation: This position does not require a Criminal Background Investigation
EEO/ADA: City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or Texas Relay by dialing 7-1-1.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual’s AIDS, AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * This position requires graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent plus four(4) years of experience in commercial/industrial electrical installations. Do you meet these requirements?
- * This position requires a valid Texas Class C Driver License. Do you have a valid Texas Class C Driver license or, if selected for this position, do you the ability to acquire a valid Texas Class C Driver license by your hire date?
- * The City of Austin Driver Eligibility Standards require that External New Hires meet the City’s Driver Record Evaluation (DRE) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months. Do you meet this requirement?
- * Which of the following best describes your current electrical licensure status?
- Have a current State of Texas Journeyman Electrician License
- Do not have a current State of Texas Journeyman Electrician License but am able to obtain one within six (6) months of employment because I have at least 8,000 hours of training under the supervision of a Texas Master Electrician
- Have a license from another state that is eligible for reciprocity for a Texas Journeyman or Master License within 6 months of employment
- Do not have a current State of Texas Journeyman Electrician License and will not be able to meet the requirement of at least 8,000 hours of training under the supervision of a Master Electrician in order to obtain the license within six (6) months of empl
- * Select the items that describe your experience related to the installation, maintenance and diagnostics of electrical distribution and process/motor control systems on equipment rated greater than 600 volts. And15kv electrical substation distribution equipment and process/motor control systems
- Experience with 15KV electrical substation distribution equipment
- Experience with 15kv process/motor control systems
- Experience with 5kv process/motor control systems
- Experience with equipment rated greater than 600 volts
- Experience with equipment rated less than 600 volts in a commercial setting
- Experience with 120/240 volt systems
- No experience
- * Select which types of electrical test equipment you have experience working with.
- Low voltage multimeters
- Medium voltage meters
- 5kv megohmmeter
- 15kv megohmmeter
- Transformer turns ratio meter
- Smart relay test set
- Phasing sticks
- * Select the electrical environment(s) you have experience working in.
- Light Industrial
- Heavy Industrial
- Private/Public Utility
- * Please select the safety and personal protective equipment you have experience using.
- Low voltage rated electric gloves
- Medium voltage rated electric gloves
- Hazardous air monitor
- Confined space entry equipment
- Fall protection harnesses
- Arc Rated flash suits
- Hard hat
- Safety glasses
- Leather gloves
- FR uniforms
- Safety toed boots
- * This position will require you to be able to occasionally carry, lift, push, or pull up to 50 lbs. unassisted, wear personal protective equipment, be exposed to extreme weather conditions, atmospheric and hazardous conditions and very loud noise. This position will require that you be able to perform duties with confidence descending into confined spaces and climbing heights of up to 200 feet on ladders that support up to 300 lbs. Are you able to perform these duties with or without reasonable accommodations?
- * Were you referred to this opportunity by an Austin Water employee? If yes, please provide the employee’s full name.
- (Open Ended Question)