Candidates for this position will receive overtime each pay period when assigned to a rotating shift and will also receive shift differential pay when working during the hours of 6:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.
Employees working on a rotating shift work 14 days in a 28 day cycle.
Candidates who possess a current Virginia Wastewater License from Class IV - Class I and have wastewater experience may be hired in above the entry level trainee in accordance with the Service Authority's Career Path Policy requirements. The candidate will be required to meet Service Authority specific requirements within a set period of time.
Position Summary: Learns to perform technical work in the operation and maintenance of an advanced water reclamation facility. The work involves working with experienced wastewater treatment plant operators as part of a planned program to learn the duties and to acquire certifications. Employees may be assigned various projects for learning and developmental purposes and perform helper duties while serving as trainees. Workers follow specific instructions and procedures and refer nonstandard situations or problems to others.
Learns water reclamation facility operation to include:
- Ensuring proper operation and maintenance of plant machinery and equipment used in wastewater treatment; oils and adjusts machines; to determine if process changes are required and make adjustments; to calibrate meters in preparation to run tests on various samples; to start and stop plant machinery and pumps as required; to regulate valves and observe and record plant flows; to operate and maintain incinerator.
- Operating equipment such as blowers for air supply to activated sludge, influent and backwash pumps for filtration, UV for disinfecting, centrifuge for dewatering and incinerator for solids and scum disposal.
- Maintaining logs and to record all parameters related to plant operations; to record and manage the consumption of all chemicals used at the plant; to collect composite samples for process control and permit compliance; to perform testing on various samples in order to make lime feed change; to use computer graphics and trends to identify necessary plant changes and/or adjustments.
- Monitoring Solids Handling; to collect samples from holding tanks, gravity thickeners and cake pump; to obtain level readings from holding tanks and gravity thickeners; to run tests on holding tank samples; to check equipment settings; to open and close chain valves at scheduled times.
- Making routine checks throughout the plant; to record temperature and pressure readings to exercise and check position of valves; to check operation of pumps, and to haul sludge: visually inspect the facility.
- Monitoring SCADA system in order to stay within specific guidelines; to record equipment information from equipment; to identify problems; to connect and disconnect fuel oil line, water sprayers as required.
- Performing preventive maintenance; to steam clean hoses and equipment; to check oil and temperature; to clean filters, hose draft tubes; to pump standing water; and to perform other related maintenance duties for units.
- Learns to coordinate the plant's maintenance requirements with superiors; to ensure that the plant is operated efficiently and at minimum reasonable cost; to ensure that all equipment and machinery is kept in good working condition.
- Learns to collect and test samples; to collect data from field testing samples; to perform various tests on wastewater samples.
- May be deemed essential at any time.
- Required to work rotating shifts including days and nights
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.