Provides planning, design, project management, and contract administration of various construction and engineering projects. Responsibilities entail accountability based on measurable cost effective results for the substance, efficiency, productivity and quality of assigned projects.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Includes the following. Other duties may be assigned or scheduled.
- Plans, directs and coordinates all activities of assigned areas.
- Responsible for all phases of assigned projects from inception through project close out, including planning, budgeting, design, procurement/project delivery, permitting, construction, contract administration, and final acceptance.
- Provides design and/or design assistance and prepares cost estimates on engineering projects including water and wastewater capital improvements.
- Coordinates activities with local jurisdictions, state and federal agencies, private businesses, contractors, consultants and others involved with Authority projects.
- Prepares Requests for Proposal for professional services and manages architectural/engineering consultants in the preparation of studies, reports, designs, plans, specifications, cost estimates, easements, and plats.
- Prepares Invitations for Bid, Project Manuals, Technical Specifications, and construction contract documents, and manages the procurement of construction services for assigned projects.
- Conducts public outreach to inform citizens of engineering related projects.
- Assures efficient coordination with other Authority departments and Divisions for management of project-related technical and financial documentation.
- Provides technical evaluations, comments and assistance in the area of utility engineering and hydraulic analysis.
- Directs field surveys, mapping, database management, design, and inspection for a variety of engineering projects.
- Conducts field inspections as necessary.
- Prepares short and long-range plans for assigned area to include financial analysis and project review.
- Assists in the formulation and administration of departmental policies, procedures, standards, plans, and programs.
- Takes active role or assures subordinate managers take active role in developing employees by establishing individual employee goals and objectives. Assures appropriate resources are available to obtain established goals and objectives.
- Works with department manager and/or Division Director in regards to staffing, employee development, and discipline.
- Assures employee evaluations are complete and accurate and meets all requirements.
- Assists in preparation of assigned area’s budget and maintains authorized budget.
- Confers with department manager and/or Division Director on problems encountered in assigned area.
- Reviews plans and specifications for various projects.
- Assists in the formulation of long-range programs for utility improvements.
- Assists customers and Authority staff with questions relating to Authority projects, facilities, infrastructure, and services.
- Prepares Board reports (staff studies) for various engineering related projects, for presentation and action by the Authority’s Board.
- Engages in engineering research, prepares a variety of technical reports and gives presentations of same as required.
- Proficiently operates typical computer software applications including; asset management, GIS, work order system(s), billing and financial systems, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, etc.), Adobe Acrobat, and Authority–specific enterprise software applications.
- Participates in various work teams.
Manages/supervises assigned employees in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.