Please Email your Resume to: Jobs@mtblw.com
Salary: 46.88 - 63.94 hourly
Job Descriptions only present a descriptive summary of the range of duties and responsibilities for the specified position. Therefore, Job Descriptions may not include all duties performed by individuals holding the position. In addition, job descriptions are intended to outline the minimum qualifications necessary for entry into the position and do not necessarily convey the qualifications of incumbents within the position. Job Descriptions shall be periodically reviewed and updated by the Board of Directors.
general Definition: The Superintendent is responsible for the Company’s distribution and production operations; and performs other related duties as necessary or as directed by the General Manager.
Supervision Received / Exercised: Receives direct supervision from the General Manager; exercises direct supervision over all Field Technicians and Pump Operators.
Essential Functions: The essential functions performed by the Superintendent include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Effectively oversees and manages distribution and production operations.
- Effectively supervises the Field Technicians and Pump Operators; prepares daily schedules for Field Technicians and Pump Operators; creates the on-call rotation schedule for Field Technicians and Pump Operators.
- Makes recommendations to the General Manager regarding hiring decisions for Field Technicians and Pump Operators; conducts the orientation and training of Field Technicians and Pump Operators; supervises, schedules inspects, evaluates, and participates as needed in the work of crews involved in the maintenance and repair of the Company’s water distribution system and facilities.
- Oversees and performs distribution system maintenance; oversees and performs general repairs to water mains and services; reports on and records all water main and service leaks; maintains accurate records of all maintenance and repair activities; maintains drawings of water system; performs plumbing system inspections for cross-connection regulation compliance and backflow device testing requirements; coordinates and oversees new construction, water line chlorination, flushing, and bacteriological sampling.
- Lays out, assigns a lead worker to, and participates as needed in the relocation, maintenance, and repair of water mains, services, hydrants, valves, and other related services; works with the office staff in coordinating meter reading, water quality complaints, shut-offs, and new service installation.
- Tracks, reports, reviews, investigates, and comments on engineering plans and specifications.
- Develops and oversees the vehicle maintenance program; develops and oversees the flushing and valve maintenance program; develops and oversees the production equipment maintenance program.
- Attends and acts as the representative of the Company at utility meetings with the City of Montebello; coordinates Company activities with public agencies and outside contractors.
- Safely operates Company vehicles and heavy equipment.
- Determines the need for equipment, supplies, and employee uniforms; Orders equipment, supplies, and employee uniforms; anticipates all inventory needs.
- Performs fire flow tests for customers; responds to after hours emergencies as needed; operates heavy equipment as needed, including 90 pound jackhammer and power saw.
- Performs all other duties necessary for the position and/or prescribed by the General Manager.
Physical, Mental, and Environmental Working Conditions: Position requires sitting, standing, walking, bending, squatting, twisting, kneeling, and climbing. The need to lift and carry items weighing up to fifty (50) pounds is required. The incumbent will also need to team lift between fifty-one (51) and one hundred (100) pounds. The position also requires repetitive hand movement and fine coordination in preparing reports, using a computer keyboard, and operating hand and power tools. The position requires both near and far vision in reading written reports and work-related documents, and conducting inspections as need. Acute hearing is required when providing phone and personal service. The position also requires the ability to verbally communicate when providing phone and personal service. The nature of the work also requires the incumbent to drive motorized vehicles.
Additionally, the incumbent may be exposed to hazardous materials (including chlorine), loud noise, confined spaces, machinery (including jackhammer and power saw), electric current, vibration, and dust, gas, or fumes. The nature of the work may also require that the incumbent climb ladders and work above ground level.
Some of these requirements may be reasonably accommodated.
Qualifications: The following are the minimum qualifications for entry into the position of Superintendent:
Education / Experience: A high school diploma or its equivalent is required. Any combination of education and experience that has provided the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary for a Superintendent. Prior supervisory experience is desirable.
Licenses / Certificates:
- Possession of, and ability to maintain, a valid California Class C Drivers License.
- Possession of, and ability to maintain, a Water Distribution Operator “Grade D3” Certification is required.
- Possession of, and ability to maintain, a Water Treatment Operator “Grade T2” Certification is required.
Knowledge / Abilities / Skills: The knowledge, abilities, and skills necessary to perform the essential duties of the position of Superintendent include, but are not limited to, the following:
Knowledge Of: Methods used in the general maintenance and repair of a water production and distribution system; Materials, practices, and equipment used in repairs to a water production and distribution system; Principles and methods of plumbing; Applicable federal, state, and local laws, statutes, and regulations, and their individual reporting requirements; Sound fiscal policies; Effective supervisory techniques; Methods and techniques of scheduling work assignments; Basic principles of mathematics; mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic principles; Safe handling of chemicals; Cross-Connection controls; Standard office procedures, practices, and equipment; Methods and techniques for recordkeeping and report preparation and writing; Proper English, spelling, and grammar; Occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
Ability To: Oversee all aspects of water distribution and production operations; Organize, direct, supervise, and participate as needed in the installation, maintenance, and repair of the water distribution and production system; Responds to after hours emergencies as needed; Oversee all field service projects; Read and interpret plans, diagrams, and blue prints; Supervise all Pump Operators and Field Technicians; Act as the Company’s representative at all necessary meetings or inspections; Prepare necessary reports; Analyze complex issues and develop and implement and appropriate response; Follow and deliver written and oral directions; Maintain a satisfactory DMV record and maintain insurability; Observe safety principles and work in a safe manner; Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; Establish and maintain effective working relationships
Skill To: Operate an office computer and proficiently use word processing, spreadsheet, and other necessary programs; Operate the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) system; Operate all necessary power tools, hand tools, and heavy equipment.