California Water Service (Cal Water) invites you to pursue a career with the largest investor-owned American water utility west of the Mississippi River and the third-largest publicly traded water utility in the country. Formed in 1926, the San Jose-based company was named one of the Bay Area's Top Workplaces several years in a row. Cal Water employees pride themselves on sharing a commitment to being the leader in providing its customers and communities with traditional and innovative utility services.
Cal Water offers a generous total compensation package. We have competitive salaries and match a portion of employees' contributions to their Company 401(k). In addition, we provide a Company-funded pension plan, great healthcare benefits that provide coverage to employees and dependents, and generous tuition reimbursement. In addition, employees receive 11 paid holidays and three floating holidays per year, and two weeks of sick leave and vacation.
We are committed to hiring the best candidates, developing current employees, and promoting from within. Continuous improvement and employee development opportunities allow employees to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to progress and reach your career goals.
The Operations Manager is responsible for managing the operation, maintenance and customer service activities of the Salinas water system, including managing and monitoring operating expense budgets and supporting the execution of the capital budget; managing customer service and SOX compliance, establishes oneself as a leader in the community; complies with local, state, and federal regulatory requirements for drinking water; acts as the designated Company official for public meetings or forums; participates in the General Rate Case (GRC) process. This position will be located in the Salinas, CA office.
- Manages staff, including prioritizing and assigning work, conducting performance evaluations, overseeing training and development, and making hiring, termination and disciplinary recommendations
- Oversees all customer service activities and responds to/resolves customer inquiries regarding billing or water quality
- Provides oversight for water quality and quantity water system operations, maintenance, and stand-by operator after hour activities
- Oversees operations related to distribution, quantity and quality including maintenance and construction activities, all capital construction and activities, budget development, monitoring expenditures, and resolving complex customer service issues
- Manages and oversees the District’s Operating Budget; prepares the Annual Operating Budget for all field activities.
- Schedules and modifies operations to meet corporate, Company, and local goals, initiatives, and projects
- Performs Shift operator duties on a daily basis and acts as the Chief operator as needed
- Ensures certified distribution operators and treatment operators are properly trained to make decisions that affect water quality and quantity using manual or supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA)
- Provides oversight to the operations and maintenance of well sites, system booster stations, reservoirs, treatment plant, compliance water sampling, and testing
- Provides oversight to system main repairs, service repairs, meter repairs and replacement program, flushing program, valve operation program, and fire flow availability tests
- Develops, implements, interprets, and ensures compliance with complex rules and regulations, laws, codes, policies and procedures via interaction with government agencies and regulators
- Establishes and maintains relationships with local government officials; acts as the Company representative in a public forum or before the media
- Exercises technical expertise in preparing written and oral reports for management, boards, agencies, civic organizations, councils and commissions
- Responds to all water quality and environmental inquiries and issues; participates in inspections, adheres to Cal Water Statewide NPDES Permit and interacts with applicable local, state, federal agencies
- Participates in the GRC process, including responding to requests for additional information from the Public Utilities Commission (PUC), departments, and interveners
- Ensures that employees comply with all safety guidelines by providing required safety training in accordance with Company policy
- Collaborates with District Manager to ensure districts meets its capital budget schedule and budget
- Collaborates with Company’s Customer Service, Engineering, Water Quality, Environmental and Safety, Rates, and other internal departments
- Participates in a community service organization consistent with district public outreach plan
- Participates in and supports the Company’s Continuous Improvement program and projects
- Available for on call duty as required on a periodic basis
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Attends meetings and training as directed by California Water Service
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent relevant water industry or field operations experience
- Five years of increasingly responsible experience in district management or district supervisory role
- Five years of experience working in a water utility in field operations, customer service, or related department
- State Water Resources Control Board-Drinking Water–Operator Certification Programs Water Distribution Operator Grade III Certification required
- Must obtain State Water Resources Control Board-Drinking Water–Operator Certification Programs Water Distribution Operator Grade IV Certification in 24 months
- State Water Resources Control Board-Drinking Water–Operator Certification Programs Water Treatment Operator Grade II Certification required
- Must live within 45 minutes of the district
- Excellent written, verbal, and public speaking skills
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications
- Valid California Driver License
Deadline to submit resume is Thursday, March 26, 2020.
The Equal Opportunity Policy of the Company is based upon the philosophy that all people should be treated fairly and with dignity. California Water Service, Hawaii Water Service, New Mexico Water Service and Washington Water Service do not discriminate against any applicant or employee because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or any other protected class. The Company makes all employment decisions in a non-discriminatory manner. EOE, VET, DISABILITIES.
Salary: $93,100 - $172,600