The Bureau of Environmental Service (BES) is seeking to hire up to three Industrial Maintenance Millwrights. This is full performance level work in the repair and maintenance of wastewater treatment facilities. Millwrights are responsible for the inspection, adjustment, installation, repair, and preventive/predictive maintenance of wastewater treatment equipment and structures (including pumps, valves, pipe systems, boilers, heat exchangers, blowers, clarifier and screen house systems, solids handling, chlorination equipment and related structures). Employees of this class perform work with considerable independence. Work is reviewed by a supervisor through on-site inspection for proper completion and/or review of completed work orders. Successful candidates will have completed a 4-year apprenticeship program as Industrial Maintenance Millwright -OR- possess demonstrated equivalent skills and experience.
This position is represented by Portland City Laborers - Local 483 collective bargaining agreement, view the agreement at https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bhr/27840.
The following minimum qualifications are required for this position:
- Knowledge of fluid dynamics, hydraulic and pneumatic systems; and steam systems.
- Skill and experience welding and cutting structural steel; basic metal fabrication; pipefitting and layout; machine layout, blueprint reading, machinery erection, mechanics and mechanisms, and power transmission; mechanical piping systems, tubing and plumbing.
- Ability and experience in performing precision alignment of equipment.
- Ability and experience operating precision hand tools, power tools, precision measurement tools, and basic machine tools.
Applicants also must possess:
- A valid state's driver's license and acceptable driving record at time of hire.
- Some positions may require additional endorsements, certifications or licenses.