Under general direction, plans, supervises, and coordinates the activities, operations maintenance, and regulatory compliance of the City's wastewater and water reclamation facilities, coordinates assigned activities with other divisions, outside agencies, and the general public; and provides highly responsible and complex staff assistance to the MUED management team. Exercises direct supervision over assigned staff.
- Directs, organizes, and assigns wastewater operations programs and staff, provides project management, and contract administration, including all aspects of wastewater treatment and water reclamation system;
- Assists in the preparation and implementation of the budget for wastewater operation functions; monitors and controls expenditures;
- Prepares forecast and justification of funds required for personnel, equipment, materials, and supplies;
- Establishes goals, objectives, schedules, and methods of wastewater and recycled water, treatment, water quality, makes recommendations and assists in the development of long range plans;
- Conducts special studies to determine areas of improvements and/or new programs;implements programs as directed.
- Directs the preparation and submittal of detailed wastewater quality and water reclamation reports to various federal, state, and local regulatory agencies;
- Directs the development of wastewater and reclaimed water treatment work plans and ensures compliance;
- Reviews and evaluates equipment, methods, and procedures;
- Assists engineering with the design of new wastewater system installations;
- Plans, organizes, and supervises new wastewater construction projects;
- Prepares staff reports and necessary backup for wastewater operations issues to be presented to City Council for approval or information;
- Makes critical decisions to resolve emergency conditions resulting from wastewater, reclaimed and sewer collections system malfunctions;
- Coordinates the preparation of detailed specifications for the purchase of wastewater equipment, and the development of maintenance management procedures;
- Prepares, maintains, and presents maintenance and operations logs, progress reports, regulatory reports and other special reports as requested, ensuring compliance with various federal, state, and local regulatory requirements;
- Administers agreements with consultants, engineers, contractors and vendors, including development of work scope, costs, and details sufficient to issue bids, requests for proposals, agreements, and purchase requisitions;
- Tracks all agreements and purchase orders; reviews and prepares invoices for processing;
- Provides technical guidance to hydro-geology and engineering consultants to ensure City's policies and objectives are met within the framework of regulatory requirements;
- Reads and interprets drawings, blueprints, and specifications;
- Inspects completed projects, systems, and installations for compliance with plans and specifications as prepared;
- Supervises, trains, recruits, and evaluates assigned personnel;
- Assists in the review of plans and service requirements for proposed residential and commercial development ensuring incorporation of specified construction requirements;
- Responds by telephone or in person to citizen inquiries, requests, and complaints;
- Serves as representative of the City in relations, negotiations, and information exchange with federal, state, and local regulatory agencies;
- Represents the City in relations, negotiations, and information exchange with federal, state, local agencies, and at public meetings regarding wastewater and reclaimed water treatment activities;
- Investigates and reviews accidents involving wastewater personnel and equipment;
- Maintains industry contacts and remains informed regarding federal, state, and local changes in wastewater policy and requirements including regional developments and their potential political, operational, and economic impacts to the City's system; and
- Performs related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Five years of increasingly responsible experience in the management of wastewater treatment, operations and maintenance, laboratory operations, and regulatory compliance, including three years of supervisory experience.
- High school diploma or equivalent, supplemented by college level course work in chemistry, biology, civil or environmental engineering or a related field.
- Some college level coursework in chemistry, biology, civil or environmental engineering or a related field.
Licenses and Certificates:
- Possession of Grade IV Wastewater Operator Certificate issued by the State of California.
- Possession of a Grade V Wastewater Operator Certificate issued by the State of California is desirable.
- Possession of a Grade IV Laboratory Analyst Certificate issued by the California Water Environmental Association is desirable.
- Possession of a, valid Class C driver's license.
FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO APPLY TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE VISIT WWW.CITYOFREDLANDS.ORG.