The Engineering Manager is a critical role at ACWWA. This position works closely with other departments and the General Manger to run an efficient and leading organization in the water and wastewater industry. This position us one of the three senior management positions that will comprise the senior leadership team.
The Engineering Manager directs all aspects of engineering activities in the organization including but not limited managing Capital Improvement Projects (CIPs), reviewing and processing of new development, system planning, managing water resources, providing technical support, problem solving and information services to internal and external customers. This position assists the General Manager with organizational management functions and works closely with other departments such as Field/Plant operations to support their work and utilize their expertise during project execution. This position manages a dedicated team of engineers, construction/development inspectors, a water resources manager, and support personnel to execute the mission and vision of ACWWA.
This position supports the Authority in long-term, strategic planning and execution of programs and projects to ensure the continued success of the Authority. This position will plan, direct and execute within the following areas:
- Engineering/Technical Issues
- Authority Engineering Duties
- Project Management
- Construction Management
- Technical Consultant Management
- Development Review and Inspections
- Water Resources
- Manages CIP plan to ensure projects are completed on time and within budget so that service, environmental compliance, and infrastructure growth requirements are met.
- Provides timely and quality solutions to complex issues including developer agreements, customer inquiries and concerns, engineering and operational issues, and emergency situations.
- Coordinates, performs, and reviews water and sewer engineering studies.
- Provides information to the public in person and on the telephone concerning ACWWA’s engineering and planning requirements and water and wastewater operations.
- Assists General Manager with organizational management functions as required.
- Acts as ACWWA’s senior engineer
- Development and implementation of short-term and long-term strategic programs and projects.
- Develops and implements the CIP Plan.
- Performs project management duties on projects of various sizes and types
- Provides engineering support regarding proposed developments before submittal of plans for review and approval. Supports ACWWA’s operations staff in trouble shooting, maintaining and developing the distribution and collection systems, water and wastewater plants, water wells and other related infrastructure.
- Provides engineering review and comment on overall water and wastewater planning and support to other ACWWA consultants on an as-requested basis. Provides general engineering related input regarding ACWWA’s systems.
- Oversees the management of the Authority’s water resources and related projects, and supervises the authority’s water resources engineer.
- Interface with local, regional and national stakeholders to further the goals of the Authority.
- Mentor Engineering Department staff and provide advice on the administrative, scientific and technical aspects of the work.
- Direct and coordinate the work assigned to the Department; meet with staff to identify and resolve problems; assign work activities, projects and programs; monitor work flow; review and evaluate work products, methods and procedures.
- Maintain established goals, budgets and timelines.
- Develop and standardize procedures and methods to improve and continuously monitor the efficiency and effectiveness of assigned programs, service delivery methods, and procedures; assess and monitor workload, administrative and support systems, and internal reporting relationships; identify opportunities for improvement and make recommendations to the General Manager.
- Assist in the management of the Authority’s consultant team, internal project managers and engineering staff to successfully execute programs and projects related to the Authorities goals and objectives, and to achieve established key performance indicators.
- Administer requests for project proposals and selection of consulting teams.
- Resolve engineering project concerns and issues in an effective and timely manner.
- Interface with customers and community leaders to ensure project timelines and expectations are communicated and customer needs are met.
- Coordinate with all departments as needed to successfully execute projects and to provide updates and reports to key stakeholders.
- Responsible for preparing and adhering to annual department budget.
- Observe safe work practices.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in civil engineering, or related field, plus at least ten (10) years of experience working in municipal retail and wholesale water and sewer operations, conservation and reclamation district or consulting engineering firm; or any equivalent combination of education, experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Masters’ degree in engineering or business administration desirable.
- Must be registered as a professional engineer with the Colorado State Board for Architects, Professional Engineers and Professional Land Surveyors within six (6) months of hire.
- Five plus years as a supervisor of staff highly desirable.