The City of Sacramento, Department of Utilities is seeking to fill the position of Utilities Operations and Maintenance Leadworker in Wastewater Collection. The position performs skilled work in the construction, maintenance, repair of wastewater collection systems, provides lead guidance and direction to the work of a wastewater field crew. Annual Compensation: $59,102 to 83,510.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead a small crew, assign and participate in the construction, maintenance, and repair work of wastewater collection systems.
- Prepare material requisitions and maintain records of completed work.
- Repair and maintain sewer lines, valves, pipes, fittings, and related appurtenances.
- Direct, lead, and operate large trucks and construction equipment such as loaders, backhoes, trenching machines, compressors, cranes, hoists, slope mowers, and harvesters.
- Operate a rodding machine and truck, hydraulic equipment, high pressure combination cleaner and closed-circuit camera equipment in preventive maintenance and emergency cleaning of sanitary sewers..
- Maintain routine records.
- Operate personal or laptop computers to record requested data and documentation, to access and use the CMMS (computerized maintenance management system), to receive and send e-mail, and to complete routine forms and reports. Check and update as-built drawings and maps.
- Operate construction equipment
- Maintain job site safety standards and practices.
City operations, procedures, and regulations for wastewater field work.
Journey level pipe fitting and plumbing methods and techniques.
Principles, practices, and methods used in the construction, repair, and maintenance of wastewater collection systems.
Occupational health and safety standards and practices associated with the work.
City geography, the layout of sewer, lines, and the municipal street system.
Confined space entry techniques.
Codes related to chemical applications.
Flood fight procedures.
Basic computer operation in order to enter and retrieve information in designated software such as the Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) to receive and send emails and complete routine forms and reports.
- Perform heavy, manual labor over extended periods of time.
- Trouble-shoot for faulty system equipment and facilities.
- Provide lead guidance on a regular basis to a small crew.
- Operate sewer equipment with skill and proficiency.
- Respond to emergencies as required.
- Make independent decisions in field situations with effectiveness and efficiency.
- Perform a wide range of construction and maintenance activities, using standard methods and equipment.
- Work effectively with Utilities customers, other employees, contractors, and the general public.
- Safely operate heavy construction and repair equipment with proficiency and efficiency.
- Recognize and deal with hazards encountered in the course of work.
- Read, interpret, and understand blueprints, and construction drawings.
- Modify as-built maps as necessary.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Recognize confined spaces.
- Practice shoring techniques when appropriate.
- Perform traffic control in a safe manner.
- Perform computer operations and specialized business applications in order to enter and retrieve information, receive and send e-mails, and complete routine forms and reports.
High School diploma or G.E. D. equivalent.
Three years of experience as a Utilities Operation and Maintenance Serviceworker in the City of
Sacramento, which must include one year in the specialized area of wastewater.
Six years of work experience in underground installation, construction, and/or repair of water
distribution, sewer, or drainage collection systems.
ADDITIONAL APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
Please check the City of Sacramento website, job announcement to review special qualifications for this position.
QUESTIONS: For questions concerning this job announcement and the application process:
*Please visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/Home/ApplicationGuide for a comprehensive, step-by-step guide to the application process.
*For technical support between 6 AM - 5 PM PT, contact Live Applicant Support at (855) 524-5627.
*Visit the Human Resources Department at Historic City Hall, 915 I Street, Plaza Level, Sacramento, CA 95814.