Operations and Maintenance Assistant Technician or
Operations and Maintenance Technician l
Salary Range: $33,200 to 56,100; Depending on experience
Job Type: Non-Exempt; Permanent; Full-Time
Benefits: MCDD provides a generous and competitive benefits package – which includes, but is not limited to; medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, MCDD participates in the State of Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS).
Posting Date: November 30, 2018, 8:00 am Pacific Standard time
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled. First round of application reviews to begin on January 7th, 2019.
Anticipated Start Date: January 2018
How to apply: Please submit, in PDF form, a cover letter and resume addressing the responsibilities listed in the job description to hiring@MCDD.org with the subject line: O&M Technician; with the applications submitted by January 7th receiving first review.
Please do not include your social security number or other sensitive information in your application package. Applications will also be accepted via first class mail or by hand delivery to: 1880 NE Elrod Dr., Portland, OR 97211.
Assistance will be gladly provided upon request for any applicant with sensory or non-sensory disabilities. Please contact Noel Mickelberry (email@example.com or 503-281-5675 ext.
326) for any questions on accessibility or accommodation during the hiring process.
About Multnomah County Drainage District (MCDD):
To enhance community safety and support the region’s vitality, MCDD reduces flood risk by maintaining our levee system, managing drainage, and responding to emergencies. We help protect lives and property from flooding by operating and maintaining stormwater and flood management systems for nearly 13,000 acres of land along the Columbia Slough and the lower Columbia River. These systems include: 27 miles of levee, 12 pump stations, and 45 miles of ditches, sloughs, streams, and culverts.
MCDD has evolved substantially over the past decade to become a solutions-oriented leader with our partners in the region. A small, agile mission-driven team with a passion for customer service and supporting community values define the culture of the organization.
The Operations & Maintenance (O&M) Technician position will perform a variety of tasks including the operation of vehicles and heavy-duty equipment, including trucks and trailers, herbicide spray tanks, forklift, hydro-seeders, and farm tractors on slopes. This position will also perform servicing and minor repairs to tools and equipment, perform manual labor tasks with small equipment and hand tools, perform building maintenance and application of general use herbicides, and complete paperwork associated with different administrative tasks. Work is performed in partnership with the operations crew or independently. The ideal candidate for this position will have the ability to be a quick learner and work well within a team environment. The position reports directly to the Operations Manager.
Work is performed in both a standard office environment and in the field; exposure to variable and/or extreme weather conditions, flowing water, water-borne pathogens found in floodwater, and off-road driving conditions; standing, walking, driving, hiking, digging, and you may be required to lift up to 100 pounds and carry 50 pounds. This is a safety sensitive position. Safety sensitive position is a job or position where the employee holding this position has the responsibility for their own safety and/or other people's safety. This position requires applicants to pass a pre-employment drug screening.
Position requires availability during evening and weekend periods as part of an on-call rotation, support of community events sponsored by MCDD, or flood-fighting situations.
This position is given the opportunity to work in a fun and unique area along the Columbia Slough. The campus is located in Northeast Portland, OR where at times you don’t feel like you are working within the city limits at all. You will work along the entirety of our four Drainage Districts extending from Smith & Bybee lakes to the West, and the Sandy River to the East. Daily activities take place in and around bodies of water, forested areas, and expose you to a large variety of wildlife. If you enjoy having a diverse workload and enjoy working outside – then this position could be for you.
MCDD is also an organization that strongly promotes personal and career growth and supports opportunities for employees to gain skills and progress in their professional careers.
- Follow verbal and written instructions
- Follow all safety standards and guidelines
- On call responsibilities on weekends and holidays when assigned
- Assist with routine maintenance in:
- Levee systems
- Pump station systems
- Drainage ways
- Facilities repairs
- Perform essential core tasks for system reliability
- Weekly pump station inspections
- Drainage way clearing and debris removal
- Pump station and culvert grates clearing
- Levee mowing and other vegetation removal
- Weed eating pump stations and levee areas
- Herbicide application
- Working on and over water
Duties Applying to All Employees
It is the duty of all employees to:
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Strive to achieve the Mission, Vision, and Values of the organization.
- Perform the duties assigned during an emergency.
- Complete required Incident Command System training within 90 days of hire.
- Ensure and encourage a safe workplace environment.
- High school diploma or G.E.D
- Valid class “C” state driver’s license
- Ability to work outdoors for extended periods under unfavorable conditions
- Ability to work on steep and uneven ground
- Ability to operate basic power tools including chainsaws
- Must show up to work regularly and on time
- Knowledge of safe work practices and safety culture
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and maneuver 100 pounds
- Ability to pass a pre-employment drug screening
- Ability to read, write, and communicate orally in the English language
- Operating farm tractor with gang mower attachments
- Herbicide application/ Applicators license
- Construction site safety awareness/ certifications
- Ability to operate work boat with outboard motor
- Class A Commercial Driver’s License
- Mechanical experience
Distinguishing Characteristics – O&M Assistant Technician Classification:
This position is the first tier of a 5-tier O&M classification series. This is an apprentice or seasonal position that will allow someone to learn the skills and knowledge needed to work through the O&M series. This position reflects an individual with 0-2 years of related experience.
Distinguishing Characteristics – O&M Technician I Classification:
This position is the second tier of a 5-teir O&M classification series. This position will provide support in all aspects of maintenance to their ability. Individuals in this job class must have knowledge of drainage and levee systems. They also must have the ability to:
- Use and operate a variety of tools, vehicles and equipment.
- Work on minor mechanical issues with tools and equipment
- Work effectively with staff throughout the organization
This position reflects an individual with 1-4 years of related experience. Additional requirements include a traffic control certificate and fork lift operator card.
Accommodation: Reasonable accommodation is available to anyone whose specific disability prevents them from completing this application or participating in this process.
Veterans’ Preference: Under Oregon Law, qualified veterans may be eligible for veterans’ preference when applying for MCDD positions. If you are a veteran and would like to be considered for a veterans’ preference for this job, please provide qualifying documents with your application submittal.
Equal employment opportunity: All qualified persons will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, familial status, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability for which a reasonable accommodation can be made, or any other status protected by law.
This position is not represented.