The City of Boulder is a great place to live, work, grow and play.
With over 300 miles of dedicated bikeways and more than 150 miles of hiking trails, Boulder values active lifestyles and access to nature. Forty-five thousand acres of land provide open space for parks and a green belt around the city. With world class restaurants and art and music venues, The City of Boulder values diverse culture.
Respect is one of our five City Values (including Customer Service, Collaboration, Integrity and Innovation) and we are committed to equity, diversity and inclusion. We celebrate and support our differences across all spectrums, including but not limited to ethnicity, gender, age, disability and sexuality. Through our focus on Racial Equity, our employee benefits, and the many programs resources we offer our staff, we continually strive to weave respect for one another into the fabric of our organization.
Add your voice and talents to the City of Boulder and help us grow in service excellence for an inspired future.
OVERALL JOB OBJECTIVE:
Under general supervision, to read water meters using automated meter reading equipment, to perform water meter installation, repair, maintenance, and field testing, and to perform related duties as required.
Meter Services Technician I - $17.42 - $25.61
Meter Services Technician II - $17.59 - $28.14
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Reads meters automatically using a motor vehicle equipped with meter reading computer, produces data and downloads data into database for transmission to Utility Billing. Makes data entry changes as needed to reflect maintenance information and updates.
- Locates and reads water meters that are not automated according to assigned route. This includes the following:
- Enters volume used by residential and commercial consumers into hand?held data capture device. Assists with daily uploading of route information and downloading of read information between individual data capture devices and central computer.
- Inspects meters and meter pits for defects, damage, gas or water leaks, unauthorized connections, and City Code violations. Enters code into data capture device indicating type of maintenance needed.
- May perform special reads or re?reads for bill verification or new accounts.
- Delivers notice of meter pit violations and turn?off notices on delinquent accounts. Explains payment policies to customers. Discontinues or restores service as needed.
- Performs general meter pit maintenance that includes trimming grass around meter pits and replacing defective meter pit bells and lids.
- Installs, repairs, and maintains City water meters, often in confined spaces and in the right-of-way. This includes replacing packing nuts, opening and closing water valves, performing pressure and flow tests, verifying meter register readings, installing remote registers, and removing, raising, and replacing water meters.
- Assists in shop and field testing of meters.
- Uses tools and equipment in the performance of maintenance and repair tasks including manual and long?handle tools, power tools, acetylene torch, gas detector, stop watch, ladder, submersible pump, and utility truck.
- Interacts with utility customers to answer questions and complaints regarding water usage, billing services, and meter pit maintenance.
- Works in confined spaces that require ventilation to protect against potential noxious gases and fumes.
- Facilitates good communication with coworkers and supervisors. This includes sharing information and receiving feedback, listening to and respecting input, participating in workgroup conversations, and directly dealing with issues that arise.
- Participates as a member of a team. Treats coworkers and supervisors with respect and courtesy. Contributes and gives input to the team. Recognizes the needs of team members, and maintains a fair share of team's workload.
- Performs routine vehicle maintenance.
- Maintains accurate records of work performed, and materials and equipment used. May use computer to log information.
- May be required to work irregular hours, weekends, evenings, holidays, and/or emergencies as required to Public Works emergencies and after-hour needs. Participates as a member of a team. Treats coworkers and supervisors with respect and courtesy. Contributes and gives input to the team. Recognizes the needs of team members, and maintains a fair share of team's workload.
- May assist in the maintenance of the transportation system including snow removal operations. Other:
- Performs related duties as required to meet the needs of the city.
- Takes proper safety precautions to prevent accidents. Responsible for the safety of self, others, materials, and equipment. Uses all required safety equipment and follows all safety regulations, policies and procedures. Reports all accidents and damage to city property.
- Know and comply with all city and department policies; participate in professional trainings and development; and adhere to attendance and workplace attire policies.
Generally, duties and responsibilities are listed from most to least critical or time consuming.
(1) TITLE OF IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Maintenance Superintendent
(2) TITLE(S) OF POSITION(S) OVER WHICH THIS POSITION HAS DIRECT SUPERVISION: none
Meter Technician I - REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
High school diploma or equivalent. A minimum of one year of experience in water distribution systems or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Ability to work independently, under minimum supervision. Ability to deal effectively and courteously with the public in difficult situations. Ability to work outdoors year round under all types of weather conditions. Physical ability to work in and around equipment, in areas of limited access, and confined spaces requiring standing, walking, bending, and kneeling for extended periods of time. Upper body strength to lift and carry equipment and supplies as needed. Ability to operate a variety of long handle, manual, power tools, technical devices, and equipment. Ability to use all required safety equipment. Obtain a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with B classification and tanker endorsement and Air Brakes (L). Ability to certify in confined space entry within six months of hire. Valid driver's license. Have and maintain acceptable background information, including criminal conviction history and motor vehicle record. Minimum Key Competencies: Takes initiative to improve services, avoid problems and fills downtime with productive work and anticipates work task needs. Strives to continuously learn and improve technical skills and services. Consistently works safely and identifies unsafe conditions or practices for others.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS – In addition to the required minimum qualifications:
Experience in water meter repair. Certified Class I Water Distribution System Technician.
Meter Technician II - REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Must meet minimum requirements of a Meter Service Technician I in addition to the following:
Certified Class I Water Distribution System Technician. A minimum of three years of experience utilities maintenance or construction (water) or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience with various utilities maintenance equipment including tap machine, locator. Experience testing and repairing large meters in place and in the shop. Confined space certified or ability to certify for confined space entry within three months of completion of confined space training program. Acceptable motor vehicle record. Must participate in rotational standby, respond to afterhours calls, and participate in Snow Operations. Ability to certify as State of Colorado Class 1 Water Distribution System Operator within two years of hire for outside candidates. Minimum Key Competencies: Suggests process improvements to crews within acquired knowledge base. Problem solves and makes sound judgements, exhibits forethought by anticipating needs of crews.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS – In addition to the required minimum qualifications:
Experience in water meter repair. Certified Class II Water Distribution System Technician.
WORKING CONDITIONS - Required Physical and Mental Effort, and Environmental Conditions:
In addition to the information listed above.
Physical and Mental Effort: Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities that permits the employee to communicate effectively on the telephone and in person. Sufficient vision or other powers of observation that permits the employee to review, evaluate and prepare a variety of written documents and materials. Sufficient manual dexterity that permits the employee to operate equipment and tools. Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, which permits the employee to work in an outdoor environment. Work may include extended periods of time viewing a computer video monitor and/ or operating a keyboard. Ability to work under stress from demanding deadlines, public contact, and changing priorities and conditions.
Work Environment: Works outdoors in all types of weather conditions.
Machines and equipment used include, but are not limited to the following: Hand?held data capture device, automated meter reading equipment and vehicle, software and database for automated meter reading, long?handled tools, hand tools, power tools, acetylene torch, gas detection equipment, stop watch, ladder, submersible pump, knee pad, safety goggles, and utility truck.
ACCOMMODATIONS: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Note: The above description is illustrative only. It is not meant to be all-inclusive.
The City of Boulder provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
*This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days from 2/11/2020 after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.