Under the direction of the Utility Services Manager, the Operations Supervisor is responsible for oversight of the day-to-day operations activities of Elkhart's three water treatment facilities, 20 MGD wastewater treatment facility and CBU affiliated Operations Team. This position holds a high level of technical difficulty, requiring a broad knowledge background in water and wastewater treatment process design, monitoring and control and leadership skills.
- Coordinate with analytical laboratory staff for sampling protocols and monitoring in both the water and wastewater sampling programs.
- Coordinate with Maintenance Supervisor on corrective and preventive maintenance work order activities that interface with operational activities.
- Provide direction of day-to-day operational process control strategies, including iron and manganese removals, disinfection, activated sludge, anaerobic digestion and biosolids processing.
- Coordinate activities associated with the formal and timely reporting of operational control data ensure compliance with all permitted activities.
- Prioritize projects involving the replacement equipment, adding new equipment and identifying new technologies to enhance plant performance.
- Develop and monitor operations budgets and trend expenditures.
- Coordinate emergency operational activities such as provide guidance for emergency call-ins, assuring complete and comprehensive communications procedures and follow-up with proper documentation.
Develop technical specifications for bidding contracts for water and wastewater construction, equipment purchase and installation, service, supplies and chemicals.
- Identify and qualify potential vendors for supplying chemicals, equipment or services for the Utility.
- Identify and qualify potential candidates to join the Operations Team as positions become available.
- Coordinate and lead weekly Operations and Maintenance Team meetings.
Perform other related duties as required, including cooperative joint efforts with other divisions or departments.
- Knowledge of water and wastewater treatment technologies, including theory, major equipment components, process control, analytical methods and instrumentation.
- Word processing, spreadsheets, database management systems and other specialized applications such as GIS.
- Strong leadership and communication skills, both oral and written.
Provide guidance and direction to Operations Team Members to enhance professional development on personal level and as a Team.
- Ability to communicate effectively, use courtesy, tact, diplomacy and persuasiveness when coordinating with and training Team Members.
- Must have knowledge and ability to work with minimal supervision.
Must be available for after hour emergencies and consulting with off hour Operations Team Members.