$ 78,200 - $97,760 a year
Willmar Municipal Utilities (WMU) is currently recruiting to fill a full-time Water System Supervisor position to oversee the operation and maintenance of a Class A Water Treatment and Water Distribution System. This is a management position responsible for the production and distribution of all drinking water programs within the operations. The successful candidate will provide strong leadership and management for the staff.
The Water System Supervisor will have demonstrable knowledge of and experience with drinking water regulations, and complex technical issues surrounding the operation, maintenance and capital improvement of treatment facilities, the distribution system, pump stations, advanced water treatment and source water infrastructure.
The candidate will have regular interaction with a wide variety of stakeholders, including regulatory agencies, consultants, representatives of the City of Willmar and other jurisdictions, and other internal departments. The candidate must have excellent interpersonal skills, provide strong leadership for subordinate staff including planning, organizing and evaluating work, and ensuring that staff adhere to WMU policies and procedures and the Collective Bargaining Agreement. The ideal candidate is a problem solver who is collaborative, team-orientated, reliable, dedicated and knowledgeable.
Preferred Bachelor’s degree pertinent to the operation with eight (8) years of progressive experience in a Class A or B water facility; or a two-year certificate from an accredited college in municipal water supply, eight (8) years of progressive experience in a Class A or B water facility and five (5) years prior water system leadership experience with documented management responsibilities.
This is a non-union salaried position supporting a good work life balanced with a Monday through Friday work schedule. WMU offers excellent pay and outstanding benefits such as PERA, Deferred Compensation, Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Life Insurance, Long-Term Disability, Compensatory Time, 10 Paid Holidays and generous Paid Time Off.
Willmar Municipal Utilities (WMU) is a Charter enabled subdivision of the City of Willmar that provides electric and water utilities to a very diverse population of approximately 19,000 residents. The Willmar Municipal Utilities is managed by a General Manager and governed by a seven-member commission appointed by the Mayor and approved by the City Council. Willmar is situated in the middle of Kandiyohi County where there are at least 30 lakes within 30 miles including 2 lakes in the city limits.
• Class A Minnesota Water Operators License
• Minnesota Class C Driver’s License
• Serving as the department head plans, organizes, controls, integrates and evaluates the work of the department
• Direct and supervise the Water Foreman/woman and staff
• Responsible for oversight of daily operation and maintenance
• Perform professional and administrative work as required
• Manages the operational and maintenance activities of the municipal water system
• Recommends short and long term Capital improvement plan development and budgeting
• Prepares the annual budgets for department
• Reviews and monitors expenditures to remain within established budgetary constraints.
• Authorizes purchases and approves purchase orders and invoicing
• Responds to after-hours water emergencies
• Responsible for compliance of all regulatory rules & laws relating to the a public water system
• Performs all other duties as assigned by the Director of Operations or as apparent
• Prepares and presents reports as required
• Corresponds with water utility customers
• Minnesota Department of Health
• Minnesota Department of Natural Resource
• Other utilities
• Consultants, contractors and equipment vendors
• Professional associations
• Internal department supervisors and staff
• City staff as required
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Provide direction and guidance to the Water Foreman/woman
• Scheduling of personnel in the operation and maintenance of a Class A water system
• Monitor staff activities of the various treatment plants, , pumps, pumping stations, hydrants, mains and meters throughout the distribution system
• Plan, organizes and evaluates the performance of assigned staff, establishing performance requirements and coaching for personal development targets
• Prepares and submits daily, monthly and annual reports as required
• Maintains complete and accurate reports and documents
• Manage and maintain the Well Head Protection Plan, Risk Management Plan and Emergency Plan
• Analyzes technical questions and provides guidance and recommendations to management and subordinate employees
• Coordinates project work Develops and disseminates public information and respond to customer concerns or complaints as required
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Knowledge of:
o All aspects of producing and distributing potable water to customers primarily engineering, chemistry, math and related sciences
o Environmental Protection Agency’s Safe Drinking Water Act
o Environmental Protection Agency’s Risk Management Plan
o Minnesota Department of Health rules regarding wells, water quality, plumbing code, etc.
o Minnesota Department of Natural Resources standards regarding Water Design Principles
o American Water Works Standards and Manual of Engineering and operating guidelines
o OSHA Process Safety Management (PSM)
o OSHA, PSM, DOH, and DOL temporary and permanent rules
o Demonstrates a strong level of accountability and ownership
o High degree of initiative and self-motivation
o Must possess demonstrated writing skills
o Communicating and presenting with groups and individuals
o Analyzing and interpreting complex data and information to make sound decisions and recommendations
o Organizing, planning prioritizing and implementing both short and long term goals
o Operating computers and software programs applicable to the department
o Managing the water system through SCADA programs
o Managing an AMI and RNI system
o Laboratory instruments and water quality testing
• Preferred Bachelor’s degree pertinent to the operation of water system
• or a two-year certificate from an accredited college in municipal water supply and eight years of progressive experience in a Class A or B facility
• Five years prior water distribution leadership experience with documented management responsibilities
• Compliance with WMU’s policies including Drug and Alcohol Substance Abuse Policy
• Work is performed in an office environment as well as outdoors.
For applications please visit our website https://www.wmu.willmar.mn.us or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline is 4:00 p.m. May 4, 2020.
WMU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.