Wastewater Chief Plant Operator positions will be directly responsible for ensuring that the Point Loma Wastewater Treatment Plant, North City and South Bay Water Reclamation Plants, the Metro Biosolids Facility, and contributing pump stations work in concert and achieve the system-wide state permit treatment performance requirements, and other regulatory requirements; serve as Chief Plant Operator over the San Diego Metro Wastewater System including the terminal wastewater treatment plant, satellite plants, and their respective operations and maintenance; provide supervisory, technical, and operational oversight of the City’s wastewater treatment system; serve as the single point of contact and Chief Plant Operator on record for regulatory agencies; ensure compliance with regulations; respond to inquiries from the public, industry, regulatory agencies, and news media; supervise and evaluate the work of subordinate positions including Wastewater Treatment Superintendents overseeing the individual wastewater treatment plants and other associated support positions; and perform other duties as assigned.
$139,900.00 - $169,208.00 (Yearly Salary)
- The following wage increase is scheduled to take effect for Wastewater Chief Plant Operator: 5% effective 1/1/2024.
- Eligible benefitted employees originally hired on or after July 10, 2021, will be automatically enrolled in the San Diego City Employees Retirement System (SDCERS).
- Wastewater Chief Plant Operator employees with valid Grade V Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator Certificate are eligible for 7.5% additional pay.
You must meet the following requirements on the date you apply unless otherwise indicated.
EXPERIENCE: Three years of full-time experience supervising the operations of a wastewater treatment plant.
- City of San Diego employees using Out-of-Class Assignment (OCA) experience to qualify must submit written documentation signed by their appointing authority or payroll specialist, detailing the work performed, dates, and total number of qualifying OCA hours. OCA experience without the required documentation will NOT be considered.
- Possession of a valid Grade V Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator's Certificate of Competence issued by the State of California Water Resources Control Board.
LICENSE: A valid California Class C Driver's License is required at the time of hire.
- Supervisory experience as a certified wastewater operator in a variety of treatment processes ranging from primary, secondary, recycled water production, biosolids, up to advanced water treatment.
- Possession of a Bachelor’s Degree in Physical Sciences, Civil Engineering, Public Administration, or related field.