Under immediate or general supervision, performs a variety of duties involved in the operation and maintenance of the Municipal Utilities and Engineering Department's potable and non-potable/recycled water distribution system, and sewer collection system; and performs related duties as required.
$21.33 - $25.93 Hourly
Stated salary does not include additional certification pay.
- Participates in the operations and maintenance of the water distribution and sewer collection system;
- Drives, operates, and maintains equipment, tools, and vehicles;
- Follows proper and safe procedures and practices in all facets of the distribution and sewer collection facilities infrastructure;
- Responds tactfully and effectively to customer inquiries and complaints;
- Assists in ensuring timely completion of preventative maintenance programs;
- Requisitions necessary tools, equipment, and supplies;
- Adheres to all safety programs and practices in work methods, procedures, rules, regulations, codes, safe work habits and the potential hazards presented by the work environment;
- Performs additional construction and maintenance tasks including concrete work, truck driving, and a variety of installation and repair activities;
- Maintains and updates a variety of records, logs, reports, and maps;
- Welds, fabricates, and assembles parts and equipment for City utility operations as job knowledge and experience increases; and
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as assigned
When assigned to U.S.A. Program:
- Assumes responsibility for daily operation, maintenance, and record keeping of the Underground Service Alert Program;
- Locates main lines, water lines, and service lines as needed for City staff, contractors, and other utility companies in conformance with marking criteria and time requirements of government code 4216; and
- Performs water main line and water service line leak detection.
When assigned to Customer Service:
- Performs minor maintenance and installation of meters and water meter boxes;
- Installs and removes water meters and repairs minor leaks;
- Performs special meter reads, checks malfunctioning meters, and investigates water pressure complaints;
- Notifies customers of upcoming meter shut-offs for non-payment of bill;
- Turns off and locks water service for non-payment of bills; and
- Inspects new meter installations for proper setting, verifies meter numbers and reads.
When assigned as Water Line/Fire Specialist
- Maintains, repairs, and replaces fire hydrants, valves, and related parts;
- Inspects fire hydrants, troubleshoots and identifies low flow problems, determines nature and origin of problems and assess possible solutions;
- Maintains the general appearance of fire hydrants; and
- Performs fire hydrant flow test, records flow data, interprets the meaning of various indicators and makes appropriate adjustments as necessary.
- One year of experience in performing general construction or mechanical equipment maintenance work involving the use of hand and power tools and the operation of light trucks.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Courses in water technology is highly desirable.
Licenses and Certificates:
- Possess and maintain a valid California Class C driver's license.
- Possess and maintain a valid California Class B Commercial driver's license with tanker endorsement, or must obtain within 6 months of appointment.
- Possession and maintenance of California Department of Public Health Water Distribution Operator Grade D1 Certificate, or must obtain within 9 months.
- Possession and maintenance of California Department of Public Health Water Treatment Operator Grade T1 Certificate is desireable.
- May be required to participate in standby/on call program.