The Public Works Department’s Environmental Services Division (ESD) is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the City’s 15.7 million gallon per day (MGD) conventional activated sludge wastewater treatment plant (WWTP). The WWTP serves a population of more than 140,000 with an annual operating budget in excess of $10 million and has a staff of 28 professional and technical personnel. Planned upgrades to the WWTP include new liquids treatment process facilities consisting of new headworks, primary treatment, and biological nutrient removal/membrane bioreactor (BNR/MBR) process. When you join the Public Works Department, you will work among collaborative and energetic colleagues who share a passion for serving our San Mateo citizens and improving the community in which we live and work. Our team is comprised of individuals with diverse talents and experience in various fields. We will provide you with a wide range of opportunities in a team-based collaborative environment while helping you achieve your professional goals.
Collaboration, Innovation, Respect, Creativity, Transparency and Informed Risk-taking are attributes within the City’s mission, values and organizational principles that we are seeking in the candidates.
Look to some of the reasons why the City of San Mateo is a great place to work: https://youtu.be/_GTIzeSpc_g
What You’ll Do
- To perform highly skilled mechanical and minor electrical work in the installation, alteration, maintenance and repair of electrical systems, equipment and fixtures in a wastewater treatment plant; and to provide lead worker oversight as necessary; to do other related work as required. Some of the job duties include:
- Read and interpret drawings, plans and diagrams of wastewater treatment plant infrastructure, equipment, controls and instrumentation.
- Install, inspect, diagnose, and perform major and minor mechanical repair work on motors, pumps, boilers, hydraulic and pneumatic equipment, generators, filters, and other plant equipment.
- Use a variety of tools, hand tools, cutting and welding equipment and multi-meters.
- Clean, oil and paint equipment.
- Perform preventive and corrective maintenance of all plant infrastructure particularly mechanical and electrical systems.
- Evaluate equipment performance and identify problem areas.
- Assist with maintaining inventory and supply of replacement parts.
- Perform general maintenance duties at the WWTP and Pump Station, including buildings, grounds and equipment as required.
- Provide lead supervision and training to less experienced maintenance mechanic personnel and assure safe work practice and procedures are always being followed.
- May be required to respond to emergency situations after normal working hours and be subject to serve on emergency stand-by alert and call out status on a rotational basis.
- Adhere to purchasing policy.
- Maintain a variety of chemical measuring equipment and plant process instrumentation.
- Fully support and utilize the Computerized Maintenance Management System to maintain accurate records and reports of work performed.
- Assist with installation of plant-related electrical systems, including but not limited to conduits, wires, relays, pull boxes, switch boards and switches required for additions, extensions or modifications to plant components.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
For a complete list of duties, knowledge, abilities and experience and training guidelines, please refer to the job specification at www.cityofsanmateo.org